Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BBB Certification

1. Back To Top    #1

BBB Certification

Is there, or has it ever been considered to develop a Certification program that would certify pool care companies at BBB pool care? I recently had to contemplate what might happen if I suddenly departed. I can't imagine my wife having to take care of our pool at such a time and I imagine a standard pool service coming in and Copper/CYA/Calcium nuking what has been a beautiful pure BBB installation. I think my wife would appreciate my memory that much more after a pool service messes it all up, but I rather she just enjoy pool than worry about anything. Ideally I'd be able to leave her with the phone number of a company who could take over where I left off.

In the grand scheme of things this scenario is pretty insignificant but I see a lot of posts from people who would rather pay someone to manage their pool than take the odd hour a week testing, dosing, brushing and vacuuming. Seems like there's a market potential for this sort of thing even though there are numerous pitfalls that could prevent success.

Other than some well thought out recommendations for test kits, this site has given a wide berth around commercialization which I appreciate, but a Certification program is more of an oversight of commercialization that could provide great benefits to many. Any thoughts?
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BBB Certification

I can just see me having a pool care company over for an interview and telling them ok..........here's exactly how I want you to do this..........gimmee a price! Could we afford it?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would love to say I'm BBB certified

Even though the test and all involved with that would be a ridiculous amount of work to setup.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Could we afford it?
    Using Google Earth I've noticed there are a huge amount of pools in my neighborhood for its size. Having clients on BBB would work if you have all day to perform services and don't service outside a 1 mile radius.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

5. Back To Top    #5

frustratedpoolmom, member353.html, a TFP expert has her service company that basically runs BBB.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ping
    frustratedpoolmom, member353.html, a TFP expert has her service company that basically runs BBB.
    You're in my will.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ping
    She operates with the knowledge taught here. So yes she practices BBB. However I think she still does mainly weekly visits. But I'll let her speak for herself

I think it could be easily done if you had involved pool owners, that could dose every other day with pre-measured lots of chlorine.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I wonder about the possibility of trademarking "Trouble Free Pools" and franchising it out under a list of rules that hold the franchisees to the BBB philosophy and methods.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

I sort of think the OP is short changing his wife if he doesn't teach her how to manage the pool (finances, house, etc) if ever anything were to happen to him. <imagines patronizing little hand pat and comment about not worrying her lil head about such things...
    Please don't leave her in the dark!! Make a little guide for her to follow and teach her and link her back to this site. My husband (Skippy) has been asking me (main pool caretaker) for just such a guide actually. I just need to get it done, LOL.

Yippee
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

10. Back To Top    #10

Another concept, besides a certification process, would be a directory of pool care providers that follow BBB guidelines. We know of one. Are there others, possibly many others?

11. Back To Top    #11

There are two aspects of BBB, one of which would be difficult for most pool services to manage. One aspect of BBB is understanding what the various chemicals do and adding only what you need to the pool water, keeping it simple with the least amount of side effects. That's something pool services could learn. The other aspect of BBB is more challenging since the simplest approach means adding mostly bleach or chlorinating liquid every day or two unless one has automation via a saltwater chlorine generator, peristaltic pump or The Liquidator, or unless the pool is not exposed to sunlight.

Since most pool services do not visit more than once a week, this means they must do something to manage the chlorine level in between visits. Most use Trichlor pucks, but we all know what that does to CYA in most pools. Another approach is to use a high CYA level (usually around 100 ppm or so) and to have large swings of FC that last through the week such as 14 ppm down to 4 ppm sometimes using a separately added mix of chlorine gas and chlorinating liquid. Hybrid approaches are also possible (some Trichlor and some weekly chlorinating liquid) and one could use algaecide as insurance with Polyquat 60 having the least side effects.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

12. Back To Top    #12

I take care of a few pools here in the north dallas area...I have been able to convince one to work with me so hers is completely within the BBB guidelines. The others mostly looked at me like I was a bit crazy for even suggesting that they work with me in their pool care! Although I am forced to use the tabs in these pools, I do follow the rest of the BBB method as much as possible. If they have needed a shock or added chlorine boost, I add liquid bleach for that. Also have added Borax to their pools...they don't really understand what it is I do...but they do notice that their pools look much better since working with me. They also understand that I don't add as much chemicals as they have had in the past...for practical reasons, this is about as much as most wish to do...so although I am limited as to how much BBB I can follow, learning what i have from here has tremendously helped the way I do business! Thanks to you all for that.
    Brian, Richardson TX. 25K Plaster Pool, 1.5 HP Pump, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 HP Booster Pump, 325 sq ft Cart Filter. This is my 3rd pool to convert to BBB method.