Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE Replacement After Backflush

1. Back To Top    #1

DE Replacement After Backflush

How much replacement DE should I be adding back into the system after I backflush? I've asked the same question of 5 different folks at the pool company that installed my pool and git 5 different answers. They told by neighbor (same pool installer) another answer altogether. Is there a good rule of thumb?
    23,200 gallon in ground pool, Vinyl Liner, Salt Water, Variable Speed Pump Intelliflow 3hp/1.32SF/3.96 SFHP, Filter Pentair FNS PLus DE FNSP36, Heater Pentair Mastertemp 250, SWG Jandy APURE35PLG, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE Replacement After Backflush

80% of the required amount posted on your filter on in the literature that came with your filter.

4) At this point, you have removed ~ 80% of the old/ used DE so only add 80% of the DE you would use in a new or fully clean filter!!

You can read more here: use-and-care-for-de-filters-t4086.html
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

3. Back To Top    #3

80% of the normal amount used after a full breakdown.

What does the manual for your filter say?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Owners manual is here http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/FNSPlusOM.pdf. Match up your model number to know how many square feet of filter area yours is.
    ~john
    24.5K G, pebble, SuperFlo VS 1.5, 48sq DE filter, Hayward H250FDN, Autopilot RC-52, Poolvergnuegen & 3 daily swimmers in season.

5. Back To Top    #5

There is a good rule of thumb and it's listed in the Use and Care of DE Filters article in Pool School. Basically it's 80% of a new fill and you should open the filter once a year and give it a good cleaning.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

That helps. It looks like we have a 36 so according to the book it takes 3.6 pounds of DE at startup or 57.6oz. To replace 80% would be 46oz. I have a 12 oz scoop so it would take just under 4 scoops after backflush. That seems to make sense to me now. HOWEVER, as I was looking for the model number on the filter I found on the sticker it says Freshwater Only. I have a saltwater pool. Can that be right?
    23,200 gallon in ground pool, Vinyl Liner, Salt Water, Variable Speed Pump Intelliflow 3hp/1.32SF/3.96 SFHP, Filter Pentair FNS PLus DE FNSP36, Heater Pentair Mastertemp 250, SWG Jandy APURE35PLG, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah, that can be right.

You don't truly have a saltwater pool. You have a freshwater pool with a little salt in it. When they warn against a "saltwater" pool, they're talking about an ocean water level salt.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you. That made me panic.

9. Back To Top    #9

LOL isn't learning all this stuff fun! How long have you had your pool? Have you taken your DE filter apart and cleaned it yet? Did you note the clean pressure on the filter so you'll know when to backwash again?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo
    LOL isn't learning all this stuff fun! How long have you had your pool? Have you taken your DE filter apart and cleaned it yet? Did you note the clean pressure on the filter so you'll know when to backwash again?
    Good point! You don;t know if the filter looks like this inside.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

I took it apart a week and a half ago and gave it a very good cleaning. I now have a good idea of what the clean pressure should be so knowing when to actually backflush should be a little more clear.

As far as the age of our pool it's new this summer and the process with the installer has been extremely painful. Started the install last September and were still working out issues as of this week. I could write a paper on all the issues we've had. If I had a magic rewind button I probably wouldn't have done it to be completely honest. I've never seen an industry so full of incompetence in all my life. I know that's a sweeping generalization but where I live it's definitely the case.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Aspfam
    I took it apart a week and a half ago and gave it a very good cleaning. I now have a good idea of what the clean pressure should be so knowing when to actually backflush should be a little more clear.

As far as the age of our pool it's new this summer and the process with the installer has been extremely painful. Started the install last September and were still working out issues as of this week. I could write a paper on all the issues we've had. If I had a magic rewind button I probably wouldn't have done it to be completely honest. I've never seen an industry so full of incompetence in all my life. I know that's a sweeping generalization but where I live it's definitely the case.

Not really. It seems the case all over, and the amount of misinformation and lack of knowledge is truly staggering sometimes.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem