Need help with an Intex sand filter / SWG combo unit...

May 25, 2012
Ok, I have been discussing this already in the pumping section, but more people browse the AGP section so I'm putting this here. I have my 16 x 48 ultra metal frame hard plumbed to an Intex 2650 GPH pump/sandfilter/SWG all in one combo unit. Well, I think the motor has bitten the dust on my pump. It was just humming loudly a couple days ago, checked capacitor it was good. Turned pump on and spun the impeller by hand and it started up. I tested it off and on several times to be sure it would cycle on and off by itself. It did, so I put it all back together and hooked everything back up yesterday and turned it on. It pumped, and the SWG came on, but the motor sounded bad. It ran for about 2 hours and finally quit completely. It powers on now, but no noise at all from the motor. It is barely over a year old, and I'm still trying to find out if this will be covered under warranty. But until I get a clear answer from Intex, is there a way I can hook my old 1500 GPH pump up, and run through the sandfilter/SWG to still be able to have my SWG running? What would I need to do? Disconnect the wires going to the motor/capacitor? I could even take the sand filter out of the system, and just attach the SWG tube inline from my 1500GPH pump if the pump wont be sufficient enough to go through the sand filter. I just need something to keep this thing running before my pool turns green.

I don't know about how to run the swg when it's integrated with the dead pump I'd think just disconnecting wires from motor would do it but dunno. But your other idea / part of your 1st idead of using an old intex pump to pump through the sand filter I think would work fine.

I have a smaller intex sand filter than you (14") and I have a little bitty summer escapes pump on my skimmer that runs 24/7, it pushes water through the filter fine. I'd guess your bigger filter should be even easier to push water through.

About the only time I turn on the intex pump that came with my sand filter is when I vacuum or there's a bunch of junk floating on the surface from a storm.

I think it will work if I disconnect everything from the motor on the integrated unit. It powers on now, and the swg works without the pump running, but only for about a minute until the flow sensor shuts it off due to low/no flow. As long as there is flow, the sensor will keep the SWG on, and it should work fine. My main question is does anybody know exactly what all I need to unhook and cover? I don't want to fry something else in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.