Coverstar claims motor needs replacement, how to verify?

dblko

Jun 20, 2012
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have an automatic cover from Coverstar for my inground 20,000g pool, which over time started to have troubles operating, especially when closing, moving only gradually, step-by-step and haltingly. Right now I just keep it open.

The actual motor that is located offsite within the pool pump/machine area powers the power the cover mechanism remotely via a hydraulic connection I believe.

I had guys from Coverstar came for service, the initial crew did replace some smaller parts without any improvements. Then a more experienced person came out to take a look, and they are claiming now that the motor needs to be replaced, suggesting also to get new ropes and possibly a new cover. I'm waiting for a final estimate, but that didn't sound cheap.

Does it sound reasonable to replace the motor? The system was installed by the previous owner, it is probably 6-9 years old now. Is there anything that one could check to verify the diagnosis? Maybe its just the hydraulic fluid that needs replacement. I'm concerned that they are just trying to replace as much stuff as possible to somehow getting it to work, without really locating the source of the problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Can you post a pic of the motor and pump?

What does the motor sound like when it's running?
If it's hydraulic it should have a fluid reservoir. Does the level in there look normal?
What does the hydraulic motor at the cover roller sound like what it's running?

You're description sounds like the hydraulics have air in them or the relief valve is bypassing at too low a pressure.

Thanks for the reply. I'm adding pictures of the actual electric cover motor that's located offside next to the pool pumps and filter, and the smaller cover side driver on the receiving end of the hydraulic.

Attachments

• PoolCoverRetracted.jpg
    PoolCoverRetracted.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 121
  • PoolCoverDriver.jpg
    PoolCoverDriver.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 123
  • CoverMotor.jpg
    CoverMotor.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 120
Have you checked the fluid level? Do you feel comfortable checking the pump pressure? When motor replacement was mentioned by the repair people, did they specifically say the electric pump motor, because they could have been talking about the hydraulic motor that's connected to the reel?

Unless your extremely handy and don't mind getting dirty, I don't think these things are within the capability of a typical homeowner to troubleshoot without specialized tools (gauges and hoses). So unfortunately I think you're at the mercy of the repair folks.

From what I see it looks as though the cover is relatively new. It is out of adjustment and needs to be straight when fully opened and closed. It could be low on fluid or the hydraulic motor in the trough is going out.

Thanks for the replies. Actually the system is about 8 years old, not sure if that is about how long this kind of motors are expected to last.

I'm not really comfortable to work on the system on my own, especially when it comes to risking to spill the hydraulic fluid all over the ground or worse into the pool water.

For now we can just go on without using the cover.

Your pool does not look that wide and unless it is 80 ft long, I would change over to a electric motor and pull wiring through the hydraulic run. That is if the hydraulic pump is bad and needs to be replaced. I only recommend hydraulic systems for large top guides with lots of deck drag or very large under guides(over 25x50). If the cover only slows at the end then I don't think the pump is bad. Each line has a pressure relief valve that can be adjusted to limit the force applied to each direction. These valves could be mis-adjusted, clogged or bad. If you want to be sure the lines are clear of air, retract the cover and remove the ropes from the reel, then run it to "cover" to completely cycle the fluid through the lines.
The ropes(green or orange tracer)that were used on your cover has a core that is not very elastic, it tends to break up the fibers as it goes around the pulleys. When new it was .25" in DIA. Now it is probably the size of you shoe strings in many places where the core is completely gone and only the jacket is left. The rope stretches as the core breakers apart causing the cover to become crooked and impossible to correct the alignment. The new ropes(black tracer) are elastic and durable but prone to shrinking over time, which is over come by leaving 6' extra on the rope reel. I would recommend changing ropes, unless the cover is leaking already and would need replacing in a year. Take the cost of a new cover and divide by 8(typical lifespan of the fabric), if the rope replacement cost is more than the average cost per year of the fabric times years left in the old cover, go with a new cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.