Pool loves muriatic acid...

Aug 4, 2013
Guyton, GA
Hello All. I'm a new pool owner. Most current test results: Watertemp 88; FC 2.0; pH 8.2; TA 100; CH not tested as I have a cheap test kit from the dreaded pool store; CYA by SWAG is in the 40's and I base this upon the last three BioGuard results that the pool store gave me (while selling me truck loads of chemicals). I use the Pool pal ap on my phone to record daily test results and it has me adding muriatic acid to my pool almost on a daily basis. Over a couple of weeks my TA has come down from 160 to 100 but my pH is always high. And yes, I have a Pool Frog System. I should have researched the system better as my pool also loves those nice little, high priced, bac pacs. Any suggestions?

toofast said:
You will hear this all day long....get rid of the pool frog and switch to liquid chlorine.
Mike_k said:
You will hear this all day long... get rid of the cheap test kit and get one that will actually give you results that you can count on.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

As a former Bioguard victime myself, I feel for you. It's kind of a goofy system, because they have you add something to fix one problem, but the side effects of fixing problem one, through items 2 and 3 out of whack. Then to fix 2 and 3, you screw up number 1 again. Wash rinse repeat. I found a couple of old computer test reports from a couple years ago, and it was almost comical reading the stupid stuff I used to do to my pool.

I'm a little surprised the pH is so high. My guess is the Frog is having a tendency to drive your TA down, so to compensate, they have you add a bunch to Balance Pak whatever it is to get the TA back up, but now it's too high and that's what driving the pH up. Whenever you add MA, this cycle gets exacerbated.

From reading posts about the pool frog I knew the first recommendation would be to ditch the frog. And I already am panning on the high quality test kit purchase.

The first two times I got robbed at the spool store was because of the BioGuard computer test results. And the manager could not explain to me why I should raise my TA and add another product. I learned really quick that it's all a scam. Hopefully one day I will acquire the skills of those here who have tried and tested alternative methods of pool care.

gablueliner said:
From reading posts about the pool frog I knew the first recommendation would be to ditch the frog. And I already am panning on the high quality test kit purchase.

The first two times I got robbed at the spool store was because of the BioGuard computer test results. And the manager could not explain to me why I should raise my TA and add another product. I learned really quick that it's all a scam. Hopefully one day I will acquire the skills of those here who have tried and tested alternative methods of pool care.

It's really quite simple. Just click on the button labeled "Pool School" on the upper right hand corner of his page, then spend some time reading. Study it a few times and it all begins to make sense. If you have any questions there are hundreds of people here to help you. You will be able to ditch the pool store and learn to maintain a crystal clear, problem free pool for a fraction of what you are now spending. No one here has any profit motive we just want to help others learn proper pool care.

Order a good test kit (we recommend TF-100) and study the Pool School and in a few weeks it will all become clear (including your water).

There's a reason this site is called "Trouble Free Pool".

There's a steep learning curve, but after a week or so, it will become routine. And really, the curve isn't all that steep. There are videos that show how to run the tests, and the pool calculator to crunch the numbers, and plenty of people here to walk you through things the first few days. Once you start doing, it will start to make sense.

And then you just coast along, a couple minutes a day, maybe half an hour a week to vacuum, and enjoy the crystal clear water. You will have spent more time driving to the pool store with a sample, waiting for results, and carrying the hefty purchases back home than you will our way.

I was just telling my wife how amazingly easy our pool has been this year. The only chemicals I put in all summer are 12.5% bleach and a little bit of dry stabilizer. That's it. My pH hasn't moved from between 7.3-7.5 all summer long.

My point is that the learning curve flattens out, and in the 1-2 year range, when you think maintenance cant get any easier, it does.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.