Installing a new liner.

Marillion Fan

LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2007
About a 1/2 hour from P.S.U.
After 4 years of playing with the pool store chemicals and not having clear water all season long, I finally found Pool Forum and eventually sliding over here, and have had crystal clear water for the past 2 seasons. :-D

After reading a number of posts from both sites I have found that my bad pool care is most likely the cause for the myriad of wrinkles I now have in my liner.
I believe there was some discussion of improper water balancing can cause the vinyl liner to expand and shrink causing said wrinkles, that and having some holes that have been patched have me looking into replacing my liner, probably before next years swim season.

So I'm putting the question out there for the installers and DIY'ers.
I plan on doing it myself (with help of course) and was wondering what is the best/easiest way of installing a new liner?

We have an 18x33x48" oval with an overlap liner, the base is concrete dust with happy feet on top.
I know I will have to relevel the floor as a couple of the leaks were on the floor and we now have dips that the water washed away the base.

Is it best to put the liner in and vacuum it against the walls or let the weight of the fill water do that for us?
Again this isn't going to happen till next year, I just wanted to get all the info I could before going head first into something that I don't have the slightest idea of how to do.

With an AG overlap liner about all you need is ~50 cloths pins. The idea is that you have the liner draped in the pool but keep it from touching the sides by holding it up with the pins. When the water gets high enough, the pins start popping off and you have to let a couple of inches of liner into the pool - it's fun to run around the poolpulling and replacing cloths pins :roll: .

When you are ready to take on this project, just ask and I'll help you through it :thumright:

waste said:
With an AG overlap liner about all you need is ~50 cloths pins. The idea is that you have the liner draped in the pool but keep it from touching the sides by holding it up with the pins. When the water gets high enough, the pins start popping off and you have to let a couple of inches of liner into the pool - it's fun to run around the poolpulling and replacing cloths pins :roll: .

When you are ready to take on this project, just ask and I'll help you through it :thumright:
Thanks Waste, I think it may have been one of your posts on the Pool forum that I saw a while back to just let the water seat the liner.
I'll be sure to chime in when we are ready to start.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.