filter bags for backwash

hyperionguy

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2012
Houston, TX
Last year when I was frustrated with water turnover in a small pool, plus messing up my small patio home yard by backwashing, I ran across y_not who suggested using the duda diesel filter bags. Just clamp one over the discharge hose and point it back into the pool.

Since sand filters are typically 30-40 microns, the bag doesn't need to be really low micron. I figured that since lower micron bags cost about the same... why not go lower just because. On the other hand, I don't want to go too low and risk it filtering too slowly for a 1,600 gph pump and having it create too much back pressure and/or tearing, etc.

Have any of you used the bags for this purpose? Does it work well for filtering out all of the backwash gunk?

The general concensus is that they do work, but I'm not sure they're worth the trouble. In a pool the size you have the percentage of water lost when backwashing is greater than it is for a large pool so in your case it may be worth the effort to save some water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.