Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: filter bags for backwash

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston, TX

filter bags for backwash

Last year when I was frustrated with water turnover in a small pool, plus messing up my small patio home yard by backwashing, I ran across y_not who suggested using the duda diesel filter bags. Just clamp one over the discharge hose and point it back into the pool.

Since sand filters are typically 30-40 microns, the bag doesn't need to be really low micron. I figured that since lower micron bags cost about the same... why not go lower just because. On the other hand, I don't want to go too low and risk it filtering too slowly for a 1,600 gph pump and having it create too much back pressure and/or tearing, etc.

Have any of you used the bags for this purpose? Does it work well for filtering out all of the backwash gunk?
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

2. Back To Top    #2

Manitoba, Canada

Re: filter bags for backwash

Highly Doubtful. Just buya backwash hose (less than $10 for 30') and use that instead to drain it away from your patio area.

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: filter bags for backwash

The general concensus is that they do work, but I'm not sure they're worth the trouble. In a pool the size you have the percentage of water lost when backwashing is greater than it is for a large pool so in your case it may be worth the effort to save some water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit