Hello!

cpowderly said:
If your numbers are actually right I would think 6-8 oz of MA would be ok. Without a TA number it's hard to know how much to use since that can make a big difference. Another 15 oz of bleach should keep you under 5 FC which is where you need to be for your CYA level. This is assuming the pool store figures are correct, which is very hard to say.

Sorry...TA is 90.

So, about this muriatic acid (MA). The bottle I bought today must have had a loose cap because my hand starting stinging where a small amount must have dripped out. I'm planning on wearing googles, disposible gloves and pouring into the measure cup outdoors. Any other precautions I should consider? I'm going to add this later tonight. What exactly will this do to the water? Will the feel or appearance change from an application of MA? Does it break down as it is used in the water? After dosing no one will be using the pool for at least 24+ hours. What is the normal time one should refrain from swimming after adding MA? Would it be prudent to wait for the TF-100 and test pH before dosing? Or just go ahead and do it now? Based on the above Total Alkalinity # is 6-8 ounces still the amount I should add? I'll play around with the pool calculator later.

Do you guys think a SLAM is still in my future? I'll repeat my test results (pool store) from earlier today...

FC 2.77
TC 2.77
CC 0
pH 7.8
TA 90
CH 230
CYA 15

As I've previously said the pool is cloudy but I can easily see the pool bottom from the opposite side standing outside the pool (15-16 feet away). Certainly would like to clear it up alot. I do get these little grey patches on the bottom of the pool that I try to vacuum up. I'm guessing this is likely dead algae? Thanks.

Wear goggles.
All it does is lower the pH. You can swim within an hour of adding it.
Likely the pH test was close so you could adjust it now, or just wait, not really a big deal.
If the water is cloudy, then you should SLAM the pool.

I forgot to mention that I went ahead and added 15 ounces of 8.25% bleach today as cpowderly suggested. Should I stick with this pending TF-100 test kit results or adjust? Also, how much MA should I add? UPS has notified me of the shipment of the test kit so hopefully by Monday I'll have it. Thanks again. Now back to Pool School. :whip:

At this point your ph is not unreasonably high so I would just wait for your test kit. I'm Certainly no expert but I would say if you added 18-20 oz of 8.25% a day until you can properly test you should be ok for a couple days

Looks like the test kit might not arrive until Tuesday. I've been adding between 15 - 20 ounces of 8.25% bleach the last 4-5 days. Is there any major impact on the upcoming SLAM between what I've been adding and adding the 30 ounces per day Jbliz initially recommended? My guess is CYA is definitely below 20 as I only added maybe half a bottle at the beginning of summer. (I only mention this because of the relationship between CYA and FC.) I also added a couple ounces of MA as pH was at 7.8. Once I get my TF-100 full panel test results and initiate SLAM, do I continue to test for everything as I keep FC up to shock level or do I only use the FAS-DPD chlorine test?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Depends on how long. If only a few days, you could raise the FC and put a cover on it. Longer you may want to do that AND add some tablets in a floater if your CYA can handle it.

As long as nobody is swimming in the pool and you don't care about bleaching the liner, as high as you want. Personally, I would shoot for a level that is high enough above shock level that you don't think sun and organics will cause it to drop below shock level before you can test and add again. In other words, if you are SLAMing the pool, you should know how much FC you lose over time and under what conditions, and you can compensate for those losses by providing extra FC to compensate for the anticipated losses.

Only you can know your pool, and it can only be known with the proper test kit, consistent testing, and knowing what you added to the pool.

Here are my TF-100 numbers from 8/13 before I started SLAMming...

FC 3
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 100
CH ???
CYA < 20

CH I thought might be around 160 but was doing the purple fade thing. It is possible I didn't add enough drops as the pool store numbers have been pretty spot on and their CH calculation was 260. I will certainly test again after the SLAM unless it doesn't matter and I can go ahead and test CH during SLAMming. What do you think? It's a vinyl pool so maybe not that important?

Regarding CCs, I believe the only time I got a hint of pink after adding R-0003 was the second FAS-DPD test during SLAMming. Everything else has been clear.

So last night at 11:30 I tested and bumped up FC to 12ppm per the levels for mustard shock and this morning before the sun gets on the pool I test again and it's 12 with no CCs. I test again at 9:45 and FC is 11.5. Test again at 11:00 and FC is 11. So, seeing as how this is the last time I can test and adjust FC today before getting back home tonight I bump it back up to 12 again. The thing is the pool is clear but not crystal clear. The only other thing I'd like to mention is per the pool store I put 3.5 pounds of calcium increaser in the pool back in early July. Would this affect water clarity?

So I'll be interested where FC is tonight when I get home. Likely I'll raise it to 11 and see what it is in the morning. Any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can test CH whenever you want, but with your pool it does not matter as it does not sound like it is too high.

Adding CH can cloud the water, but not for a month.

If you are looking to properly do the OCLT, you need to test at least an hour after your last chlorine addition (don't just assume it hit what you targeted). Then test again in the morning.

This afternoon around 3pm I dosed the pool with enough bleach to bring FC levels above mustard algae level in the hope that by the time the sun moves off the pool FC will not have fallen below shock level. At midnight if I do not add bleach and only test the FC level I can use this reading to do the OCLT, correct? I'm still vacuuming dead algae in the mornings but it seems to be lessening. Is the presence of the dead algae in and of itself indicative that the SLAM process has not been completed?

I had to actually start my SLAM because of the presence of dead algae or whatever it was gathering on the bottom of my pool....the advice to me was..."it doesn't count as clear if there's debris settling on the bottom" well, not those exact words but that was the idea...

I had what I thought was clear water and I could pass the OCLT but that stuff kept showing up every day on the bottom and it wasn't until almost a week of SLAMming that I found out what crystal clear really looks like! Yesterday and today, no stuff on the bottom finally! No little cloud when I brush.

So what I'm saying is....I think they're going to tell you to wait until that stuff is gone before you stop the SLAM so the OCLT could be done just for curiosity's sake but even if you pass you might have to SLAM for a few more days...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.