Rain and storms

I'm willing to bet that the algae/dirt you are seeing on the bottom of the pool is debris washed out of the atmosphere or carried in by runoff. I get a bit of that after a heavy rain. Of course, test results would give us a bit more insight.

Would not place tabs in the skimmer. The concentrated acid/chlorine mix can be harsh on your skimmer and pump/seals. Would still chlorinate using plain, unscented liquid bleach poured in front of a return jet.

Aside from FC, the rain normally doesn't impact water chemistry as much as many would think (although it will lower CH which is a good thing for most people). Continue keeping an eye on FC daily, though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For newbies reading this thread, it is important to understand that rain, unless it washes water INTO your pool from the surrounding area, should have little affect on pool water chemistry.

The vast majority of pools are simply unaffected or influenced by rain, even a pretty heavy one.

In a 48" deep pool (average) a 2" rainfall adds 4% new water so, even though this is an oversimplification, changes your chemistry by roughly 4%

Algae on the bottom of a pool is not caused by rainwater but by lack of chlorination prior to seeing visible algae.

Blackbeard, if you have clear water and algae on the bottom of your pool, you should be vacuuming and brushing your pool to remove as much as you can and then you should begin the SLAM process.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

read "SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain" in the How To section of Pool School

sounds good thank you it seems like we get 2 or 3 inches of rain backwash to waste the water level back down check the, calls get everything right another 2-3 inches of rain vacuum to waste check the chemical seems like the chlorine level be low again get the Korean backup more rain and so on it seems like I can't keep the chlorine level up enoughand three or four days later after more rain and more vacuuming and more backwashing chlorine level is down again.

Sorry about the typos, auto correct on voice text...when I get the chlorine back up a big rain then lower water again vacuum to waste backwash. Then 2 or 3 more inches! Empty fill empty fill and so on...seems like just diluting the chlorine level down.

my pool water is clear. The test kit I have is a Talor k-1004 my free chlorine parts per million is the two to four range my total chlorine parts per million is the three to six rangemy PH the 7.5 to 7.8 range.I'm not really sure how to test for anything else?there seems to be a small amount of algae growing in the bottom as the water is perfectly clear.about every 2 or 3 days this comes back after vacuuming and brushing. I thought the rain dilution had something to do with it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.