Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain and storms

1. Back To Top    #1

Rain and storms

All the rain we have been getting is killing me. Water is clear alge/dirt in bottom of pool. Please help! So much water I just get it right and more rain two or three days over full back again. Should I put in chlorine tabs in skimmer?
    18'x32'x8' in ground, 300lb sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rain and storms

Do you have a full set of test numbers for your water?

Chlorine tabs in the skimmer are not typically recommended. They can damage your pump or ruin your skimmer.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Not right now have not been able to test today. I don't use tabs.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm willing to bet that the algae/dirt you are seeing on the bottom of the pool is debris washed out of the atmosphere or carried in by runoff. I get a bit of that after a heavy rain. Of course, test results would give us a bit more insight.

Would not place tabs in the skimmer. The concentrated acid/chlorine mix can be harsh on your skimmer and pump/seals. Would still chlorinate using plain, unscented liquid bleach poured in front of a return jet.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

OK thanks that is what I have been doing. All this rain is so frustrating!

6. Back To Top    #6

It seems hard to keep numbers right with all the rain. PH is good fc and tc is the trouble

7. Back To Top    #7

I've had my pool probably 12 years this is the first year I have done it with liquid bleach all manually!I really do like the results but with all the bad weather it seems to keep me pretty busy.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry... I don't have rain this time of year... I will see some next October... LOL

Good luck!
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

thanks for your help I do appreciate it. We are calling for rain the next five or six days about 40 or 50 percent chance.

10. Back To Top    #10

Aside from FC, the rain normally doesn't impact water chemistry as much as many would think (although it will lower CH which is a good thing for most people). Continue keeping an eye on FC daily, though.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

11. Back To Top    #11

You're so lucky.... We had a whopping 5" of rain here in the last year. No help at all lowering my CH.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

I bet there's a few people here would love to send you some of our rain, Richard320!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

For newbies reading this thread, it is important to understand that rain, unless it washes water INTO your pool from the surrounding area, should have little affect on pool water chemistry.

The vast majority of pools are simply unaffected or influenced by rain, even a pretty heavy one.

In a 48" deep pool (average) a 2" rainfall adds 4% new water so, even though this is an oversimplification, changes your chemistry by roughly 4%

Algae on the bottom of a pool is not caused by rainwater but by lack of chlorination prior to seeing visible algae.

Blackbeard, if you have clear water and algae on the bottom of your pool, you should be vacuuming and brushing your pool to remove as much as you can and then you should begin the SLAM process.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

read "SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain" in the How To section of Pool School
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

sounds good thank you it seems like we get 2 or 3 inches of rain backwash to waste the water level back down check the, calls get everything right another 2-3 inches of rain vacuum to waste check the chemical seems like the chlorine level be low again get the Korean backup more rain and so on it seems like I can't keep the chlorine level up enoughand three or four days later after more rain and more vacuuming and more backwashing chlorine level is down again.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

blackbeard,

Please spell check and punctuate your posts. I cannot decipher "Korean backup".

Siri has been in the sauce again this morning and needs your personal help desperately.
    Dave S.

16. Back To Top    #16

Sorry about the typos, auto correct on voice text...when I get the chlorine back up a big rain then lower water again vacuum to waste backwash. Then 2 or 3 more inches! Empty fill empty fill and so on...seems like just diluting the chlorine level down.

17. Back To Top    #17

Sorry again about the Korean backup, I cracked up when I saw that! Thanks for trying to help me!

18. Back To Top    #18

Removed post due to possibility of incorrect interpretation!
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Do you have a full set of test numbers for your water?
    That's the very first step if you want to clear your pool.
    Dave S.

20. Back To Top    #20

my pool water is clear. The test kit I have is a Talor k-1004 my free chlorine parts per million is the two to four range my total chlorine parts per million is the three to six rangemy PH the 7.5 to 7.8 range.I'm not really sure how to test for anything else?there seems to be a small amount of algae growing in the bottom as the water is perfectly clear.about every 2 or 3 days this comes back after vacuuming and brushing. I thought the rain dilution had something to do with it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast