Retaining wall questions

Jun 13, 2012
Russellville, AR
Ok, we're tired of looking at the piles of dirt and moving on to building a retaining wall.

One side of the pool had to be dug down to be level, so the wall is only going around about 1/2-3/4 of the pool.

Anyway, at the highest point, the hole for the pool is about 12" down from the top of the ground.

Is there anything I need to know or tips specific for around pools that I need to know before I start on this project?

I've been looking online at stone manufacturers sites and retaining wall installations, and some recommend crushed stone as backfill, some sort of cloth to prevent frost heave, etc. Anyhoo, any tips/knowledge-you-need-to-impart before I make a bigger mess?

Fear my dirt landscape!
[attachment=0:2zf8dqk4]retaining wall.jpg[/attachment:2zf8dqk4]

A 12 or 18" retaining wall doesn't have near the requirements of taller structures. I would probably dig down about 3-4 inches below the first block and then start with a non-compactible base of rock and simply let the wall "float" on top of that. Step your wall backwards maybe 15 degrees or so. It makes it stronger and looks very nice, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.