Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Retaining wall questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Retaining wall questions

Ok, we're tired of looking at the piles of dirt and moving on to building a retaining wall.

One side of the pool had to be dug down to be level, so the wall is only going around about 1/2-3/4 of the pool.

Anyway, at the highest point, the hole for the pool is about 12" down from the top of the ground.

Is there anything I need to know or tips specific for around pools that I need to know before I start on this project?

I've been looking online at stone manufacturers sites and retaining wall installations, and some recommend crushed stone as backfill, some sort of cloth to prevent frost heave, etc. Anyhoo, any tips/knowledge-you-need-to-impart before I make a bigger mess?

Fear my dirt landscape!
    [attachment=0:2zf8dqk4]retaining wall.jpg[/attachment:2zf8dqk4]
    16x48 Intex Ultraframe vinyl AGP, 2150 gph sand filter/pump (Intex SF70110), Hayward Skimmer, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Retaining wall questions

A 12 or 18" retaining wall doesn't have near the requirements of taller structures. I would probably dig down about 3-4 inches below the first block and then start with a non-compactible base of rock and simply let the wall "float" on top of that. Step your wall backwards maybe 15 degrees or so. It makes it stronger and looks very nice, too.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Retaining wall questions

Okay. I didn't know if I would need to mess with any fabrics or any of that other stuff, but it does sound like it needs a footing.

Thanks!
    16x48 Intex Ultraframe vinyl AGP, 2150 gph sand filter/pump (Intex SF70110), Hayward Skimmer, TF-100 test kit