Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water level question for a newbie

1. Back To Top    #1

Water level question for a newbie

Hi
    I was wondering if it is possible for the water level to be too high? I have been finding next to nothing in the skimmer bucket (which is nice ) but I am beginning to think the skimmer is not that efficient because the water level is really high - it is over the top of the skimmer rectangular opening. It has been like this for the past couple of weeks. It may be my imagination but it seems like I have to manually skim the pool alot more often and more debris is ending up on the floor of the pool - so I am running the vacuum more often.
    So should I try to lower the level or just wait until it eventually evaporates? Rain is in forecast for today and tomorrow.
    And forgive me if this is a stupid question - but I am new at this. I tried finding an answer on the site but did not come across a definitive answer for how high is too high.
    Thanks, T
    22Kgal (18x36 3.5-6ft), IG,Vinyl,DE 36sqft Filter -90GPM flow rate, Pentair Whisperflow Pump,SWG Intelichlor, UltraTemp Heat Pump, New 10/2012 Bucks County PA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water level question for a newbie

If the waterline is above the skimmer mouth (opening) then it won't work correctly. It works on the premise of the surface water rushing into the mouth of the skimmer.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I thought so....now another stupid question.... What is the best way to drain some water? Use garden hose as a siphon? and am I correct in assuming I should drain enough to have the water level fall half way down the skimmer opening?
    22Kgal (18x36 3.5-6ft), IG,Vinyl,DE 36sqft Filter -90GPM flow rate, Pentair Whisperflow Pump,SWG Intelichlor, UltraTemp Heat Pump, New 10/2012 Bucks County PA

4. Back To Top    #4

I use my vacuum hose but a water hose will work fine.

I usually only drain enough to clear the top of the skimmer mouth. The sun will take care of it from there in a day or two.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks so much!

6. Back To Top    #6

My skimmer is so ineffective with the crepe myrtle blooms I get. They simply float around the pool until the sink to floor... and never suck into the skimmer body. So if I over fill, I just let the kids and sun fix it for me.

I have added a PoolSkim and all of the crepe blooms get sucked into it in 30 minutes or less after the pump comes on.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks! I looked up Poolskim - I had never heard of it before. An ingenious idea that I will try to fit in the budget. Our house/pool is in a mini forest. We removed 6 trees in order to put the pool in but there are PLENTY left - an huge ones!
    Now that I am no longer supporting the pool store, I think I can convince hubby that I need this handy gadget!

8. Back To Top    #8

One thing... it does require that you have return fittings you can access the interior threads of the fitting or a "standard" exterior thread eyeball. I don't know how "universal" these are but it caused me some minor headaches. I like the interior thread adapter better. Also, since I have one return, all the water goes thru the PS and this puts a higher pressure on my pump and filter.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100