Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting radiant heat from a steel chimney

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting radiant heat from a steel chimney

i have an intex above ground 15 by 48 inch pool.. the thing is i live in the very north so heat is an issue. i have set up diy solar panels made from a garden hose 400ft long they work like a charm...1/6 hp pump used to keep it flowing... right now i have sump pump hose wrapped around my chimney (we dont use the wood stove )so i would like to collect the radiant heat. it is wrapped to a height of ten feet... but i cant for the life of me get the pool pump to pump that high.... do i need a smaller hose a bigger pool pump... surely there is a way id appreciate anyh help.... before long i will be in minus 35 temperatres cel ius. so if i can extend my pool time by even a couple of weeks id be happy

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting radiant heat from a steel chimney

Minus 35... and soon...whew. Ever think of moving South?

I don't know how much heat you will pick up from that setup, and not sure it would be worth what little you get.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

nope love it here... imanaged to set this up today... it will extend my swim season by 3 weeks

4. Back To Top    #4

we travel south for a holiday in the winter for a few weeks... you realize we have long hot suppers. . it barely gets dark...you are missing out lol

5. Back To Top    #5

'Nuff said.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

You will get a LOT of heat off of a chimney, enough that you will want to watch the hose very carefully if it isn't copper. You will most likely need a stronger pump. I have seen it done without a pump because as the water turns to steam it creates a vacuum as it escapes, but the water it draws out is just below boiling, so probably not a good idea for pools.

I may have misread that though, are you talking using the stove to heat the water, or just using the sun's warmth absorbed by the chimney?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

The sump pump hose is way too big for what your trying to do. You need a 1/2" to 5/8" diameter hose and then your pump should be able to do that. Your trying to push a huge volume of water up 10', using the small hose will decrease that dramatically and allow the waer to actually collect the heat as well. However, I would worry that the hose indeed would melt if its not high temp hose or copper.

8. Back To Top    #8

well it works perfect....wrapped 11/2 inch sump pump hose around and around the chimney attached garden hose fittings and hooked it to a hose splitter that accommodates 4 hoses....also have 300 feet of garden hose turned into a solar panel....and 100 of feet swagged over the fence.. each hose is hooked to the splitter and is powered by one sump pump 1/6 hp...i can get well over 104 degrees celius out of each hose. the sump pump electrical cord is hooked to a 20 dollar timer from crappy tire.. the pump turns on every 15 mi.utes and shuts off for 15 allowing the hose to heat up...

9. Back To Top    #9

Cool, I really didn't think it would pick up much heat. So how much swim time you have left now?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

well i can probably swim till the first week in sept... maybe even mid sept... the thing is though... we get an early spribg so mid may i can be back in.... i swim tethered so it can be a bit cool i just have to swim hard to get warmed up.... and to teher i wrapp a bungee around my waist then clip a 42 inch bungee to the ladder and hook it to the one on my waste..then i swim visualizing that i am towing the pool around the neighborhood lol