Hoses and Cleaning - Coil vs. Sectioned

Aug 18, 2012
Sacramento CA
OK, still a bit unsure about the thought process that did (or didn't) go into "How to connect a suction device to a hole in a skimmer sump".
The manual rollers on a board model uses a single piece of common tubing. Cool.
The suction cleaners want their hoses cut into 4' sections so they have lots of junctions to fail.

Is there a rational reason for this? Can someone explain it?

Are there adapters to use one hose with the other device?

Is there a reason I couldn't buy a section of the hose at a big box and splice the ends from a cleaner section?

Thanks!

My understanding is the sectioned hoses allow a owner to choose how many sections are needed for their pool. I think if I add too much hose to my Aquabug, it can get tangled in its own hose. Also, the sections allow the hose to come apart to be stored flat. This means the hose is straighter in use. A coiled hose will always be coiled/twisted.

The length of the Hayward aquabug (and Navigator I assume) hose seems to be the longest they can pack into a box without the box being an oversized box and having the shipping costs based on the much higher UPS O/S rates.

As for the splices in the sectional hose, I have not had many leaks in all the years I have used them. The suction draws them tighter.

The sectional Aquabug hoses do not twist at any point. They are rigid and the connectors at both end are rigid. I think the rigid connectors are required by the Hayward vacuums to work correctly as they move across the pool floor in a spiral manner. The hose may be required to be under tension to make it more correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.