Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Build in Massachusetts *UPDATED WITH NEW PICS*

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY Build in Massachusetts *UPDATED WITH NEW PICS*

Well, my DIY is moving along. I'm building an 18 x 28 x 38 Full L. I managed to get the liner hung tonight. I had completed the pool base and didn't want it getting soaked in the rains predicted for tomorrow night so I pushed to get it covered. The pool kit came in last Tuesday and I was able to hammer it out pretty quick despite some setbacks. Last night, I wanted to get the bottom done so I hit it pretty hard. I had already done the hopper sides but I had some "help" who did one side and made such a mess of it I had to scrape and redo it after work. I got the bottom and the slope completed so I excavated down the shallow end. Lots of extra material from problems that arose during the build. I probably dug out a few yards by hand then started mixing and troweling the base. I knew it was pretty late but I wanted it done so I could get the liner in. I just kept plugging along and then I noticed it was getting light and the birds were chirping. My wife came out and let me know it was 5:30 am. I pulled an all-nighter! I guess I was in the zone. This thing is literally making me nuts. On a positive note, though, I have lost 10 lbs. in the past week. I'll probably gain it all back this weekend while I'm floating in the pool drinking beers.

I'll try to get some pictures posted. I kind of worked too much to stop and get many but I'll post what I can find.
    DIY 28x38x18 Full L, 26,000 gallons, Pentair VS Pump, SWG, CCP 420 Filter, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm SR400HD Heater, EasyTouch Controller

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY Build in Massachusetts

That's dedication! I've pulled all-nighters work'n on things in the "zone", but, never when doing manual labor!
    ~john
    24.5K G, pebble, SuperFlo VS 1.5, 48sq DE filter, Hayward H250FDN, Autopilot RC-52, Poolvergnuegen & 3 daily swimmers in season.

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't think dedication is the right word.
    DIY 28x38x18 Full L, 26,000 gallons, Pentair VS Pump, SWG, CCP 420 Filter, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm SR400HD Heater, EasyTouch Controller

4. Back To Top    #4

Here's some pictures:

Very tired Kubota 121 on site Saturday 7/27. Already dropped and stacked most of the trees. Hauling them away sounds like a nice fall project.

Digging in the rain on Sunday 7/28. The soil is sand with almost no silt so it digs like crazy. Managed to walk out of the tracks about 4 times crawling through the stockpiles. Undercarriage is pretty worn but it's a free loaner so I can't be too annoyed.

Concrete collar being poured afternoon of Thursday 8/1. The sand dried out and sloughed so I had to throw a bunch back in by hand to make a place to set the walls. It also sloughed during the pour allowing about a yard of concrete to flow into the hopper. Dug the concrete back once it began to set, straightened and leveled the wall and then tamped the concrete back into place. Oh, and had one of the guys helping with the pour shovel the yard of concrete out of the hopper to the shallow end. Unfortunately, it wasn't thrown close enough to the wall to reach it with the mini. Waited too long to deal with it so it ended up being a big solid mass that I had to break up with a sledge hammer and an air chisel. Quite the f-up on my part. The last thing you need on a DIY pool build is extra work.

Plumbing going in on Friday 8/2. I set up the returns in pairs with a tee midway so that I can balance the flows with valves at the pump. I have 4 in the walls and 2 at the steps. Managed to knock over the primer repeatedly while plumbing it up. I've never used 2 primers to 1 glue before.

Hopper shaped and pool base going on. This is going to take two coats. If this was the interior of an Italian restaurant I'd be all set but for a pool base, not so much. Man do I suck at this.

Liner hung on Tuesday 8/6. All that's left now is to finish the plumbing, add the fence, water and diving board and get a few drinks. I'll get the mini back later to finish up the backfill and grade the surrounding areas a little better. I'll add the coping and pavers over the next few weeks but for now I'll let the kids swim off plywood.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

"poolkrete" is not for the fainthearted, for sure. I chickened out and subbed mine....got a very mediocre job but still better than I could do. Hang in there.....it'll come around.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Nice work! Yep, you were right, that is some serious sand! Looking awesome!
    18x36 Lagoon vinyl IG DIY sport bottom 3.5-5-3.5 18K gal. Hayward Tri-Star 1 1/2 HP 2 Speed, Hayward 27" 350lb. sand filter, Hayward Aquarite w/ T-15, 1 skimmer, 2 returns, 2 step jets, 4 deck jets, 1 waterfall, TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Started putting up the fence last night. Digging the first one with the post-hole digger took about 5 minutes. The second post I hit some cobbles bout 8 inches down. Turns out someone had built a dry-well for the roof drain at some point in the past using cobbles and boulders right where the post needed to go. Needless to say, that one took a little longer than 5 minutes to dig.

My electrician and plumber are holding me up now. I had to pull a permit for the pool which meant I had to sub out the electrical and the plumbing for the gas hookup so I'm at their mercy. Unfortunately, the weather forecast for today includes terms like "severe thunderstorms" and "torrential downpours." I have a feeling the equipment may not get connected today.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Interesting how different parts of the country have different codes. In my area, I can do all the electric I want on a permit. The town does not do the inspection other than to see that the insurance underwriters board inspector has signed off on it. Gas lines, if they want to inspect them have to show a pressure test. Most times, I have not even had to show that on outside installs (I still pressure test though).
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Technically, a homeowner can pull an electrical permit and do their own work but most town inspectors will try to fight you on that and if you beat them over the head about it you are pretty much guaranteed to fail several inspections. You will probably end up getting a thorough check of your house as well. I used to wire control systems part time while I was in college and I also did all of the wiring for the workboats and tour boats that were built at a shop where I worked, including 3-phase setups and all of the dual voltage panels, controls and gauges, plus I've wired up equipment in various shops as well as residential wiring so I would be willing to bet that I've dealt with wiring scenarios that the inspector has never heard of but whatever. I just want it done now.

10. Back To Top    #10

So the fence is up (for now) and the pool is now full of water. The electrical is all finished other than the pool lights which I haven't installed yet. I'm actually having trouble finding the junction box - nobody seems to stock it! I dumped in the salt last night while it was filling so that's taken care of. The additional valves I need to set up the plumbing should arrive today so I plan to have the equipment hooked up and the water circulating this evening.

My one hiccup is the heater. I had trouble getting a plumber signed up, and the one that called and said he would do it never showed. A friend of my wife is married to a plumber that works at a big manufacturing facility but he has a license so he agreed to do it. He checked it out yesterday and said that our meter didn't look like it could handle the flow. I confirmed that with the gas company this morning. I'm due for a meter anyway so they'll swap it out for the correct one. Unfortunately, it typically takes 2 weeks. My wife and kids are gonna' be ******!

I'll get some more pics once the board and ladder are set.

11. Back To Top    #11

I haven't posted any pics of the pool for a while so I thought I'd show where I am so far. I've been using it too much to finish it, but it's getting there. So far, I've completed the coping and a good portion of the patio. I have the fence pretty much set on three sides, but we're still debating just how far to push the final side out so it's up temporarily for now and looking pretty ghetto. It's been high 70's and 80's this week so I've pushed the closing off for a bit.
    Here's a view from the back gate. The solar cover is floating in the pool because I haven't really set up a place for it yet:

Here's a view from the area of the front gate (which has yet to be built):

Here's a view looking at the back gate across the deep end. You can see the nice mud spray on the gate from cutting the pavers with a demo saw. Need to get out the pressure washer:

Here's a nice shot from a recent night where you can see all the heat from the pool floating into the air, like a stack of $20's in front of a fan:

And finally I have to share the picture of this thing I found while backfilling. It's next to a popsicle stick:

Hope that thing doesn't eat PVC or vinyl.

12. Back To Top    #12

Re: DIY Build in Massachusetts *UPDATED WITH NEW PICS*

The electrical inspector stopped by yesterday and said everything's great, we're good to go. I'm so glad he doesn't know who Mike Holt is.

All I need to do now is complete the other gate and I can get the signoff from the building department, completing the administrative portion of the build. I'm hoping to get the permits closed out, and the pavers, plantings and other landscaping finished in the next few weeks so that come next spring, all I will need to do is use it. Working on it is getting old.

13. Back To Top    #13

The thing you found next to that popsicle stick, that is a grub. Its basically a beetle in the very early stages (larvae). Should cause you no harm. If you have more than 20 in a 12x12 inch area, it can cause harm to your lawn.

Nice job on your pool! Feels great to DIY a project this size and be successful doesnt it?
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

14. Back To Top    #14

I actually knew it was a grub, but I've never found one that size before. The ones I typically see have some legs and are maybe 1/4 that size at most. I wonder what beetle that thing turns into.

Thanks for the compliment on the pool. It does feel good to have built it myself and have everyone using it. I hope it survives the winter.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by diyindux
    I'm so glad he doesn't know who Mike Holt is.

Pool looks great
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The company that sold me the kit convinced me to go with the cantilever coping which wasn't too cheap and was a bit annoying to install but I think it makes a huge difference in the look of the pool. I had to special order the stuff by the pallet and I figured it would be close to four full pallets overall. I basically have 1 1/2 useable pieces left so I got pretty lucky. The stuff goes for about $400 per pallet with tax so if I had missed by 1 piece I would have been very unhappy.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by diyindux
    I actually knew it was a grub, but I've never found one that size before. The ones I typically see have some legs and are maybe 1/4 that size at most. I wonder what beetle that thing turns into.

Thanks for the compliment on the pool. It does feel good to have built it myself and have everyone using it. I hope it survives the winter.
    Japanese beetle, they are evil to your lawn. I put out Japanese Beetle traps every year and grub control.

Nice pool By the way!!!!
    24X44 IG Vinyl Custom Shaped Pool, Starite S7M400 Cartridge Filter, Starite Sumpermax VS Pump, built July 2015, TF-100 Test Kit, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, NG Starite SR400 Heater, Easytouch with Screen Logic, Magicstream Laminars, Bullfrog A7 Spa

18. Back To Top    #18

That's not a Japanese beetle. That thing would have a Japanese Beetle larvae for a snack.

Thanks for the compliment on the pool. I actually just flipped off the breaker for the heater about 3 hours ago after our last swim. The season is officially over at our house. It was in the mid 70's today so it was a nice finish, although with tonight's high winds filling the pool with leaves and pine needles I have a feeling I'll be wishing I had already covered it for the fall.

19. Back To Top    #19

Great job on the pool! We just closed our for the first time last weekend. Sad to see it covered but it was a great first season. we had some nice weather in MA for the most part.
    2012 (late install) 20x40 inground Oasis steel pool with vinyl liner. Pentair DE Filter with Whisper Flow 1HP pump and Pentair 400K BTU heater.
    2016 Marquis Promise Spa (2 pump model)

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks for sharing your pics! Congrats
    2014, IG 20,000 gl 18x34 Vinyl Liner / Waterfall / SWG / Sand Filter /
    Dolphin M4 Robot / TF-100 Test Kit is used / Beer is consumed /
    *Stamped Concrete Decking*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast