Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward skimmer Self adjusting water level mod

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward skimmer Self adjusting water level mod

Installed the haywaed skimmer, but wanted higher water level. Didn't want to try installing it over the seam line, so came up with this. Some after market(not intex) skimmer barrel.

Intex 16'x48"
    Intex sand filter, ozone SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward skimmer Self adjusting water level mod

Interesting idea, good thinking!
    Does it catch junk without bypassing?

Oh, are you not using the weir door?
    Pretty important, in that they reduce vortexing, causing air to enter the system.

I'm not seeing the seam you speak of, am I missing it in the photos?
    I know our Intex doesn't have a horizontal seam except right at the edge, so high it wouldn't effect knocking out a hole for an agp skimmer.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, the floater works kinda like the weir door. It bounces around in the round grove of the skimmer eliminating the whirlpool/vortex. It does catch everything from the surface of the water like the intex one. Can't tell from the pic, but the basket is underneat the floater. It's like a Hayward/Intex hybrid. The seam I mentioned is where the blue tile print meets the grey part of the liner, I'm sure it would've been alright.
    Intex 16'x48"
    Intex sand filter, ozone SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't see what benefit this adds. I've run mine that full with no problem at all.
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I can't follow the advantage either.....Is it that blue floating device?

Without a weir door, the skimmer seems much less effective.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School