siphoning after rain

Jul 4, 2013
Florida
am I the only one that finds I go outside every time it rains to drain an inch or 4 of the water out of the pool? we have an 18' x 52" round.. here in Florida we're still in the rain season.. one good afternoon storm can bring my water level from near the 'low' marker on the skimmer to the 'omg it's almost over the high' level.. which is a good 4 inch difference.. I just use the vacuum hose tying one end to the ladder and leaving the other end on the ground away from the pool... is this just part of it all or do you just let the rain fill it till it goes over the top near the bars? which i'd rather not do to prevent erosion.. i guess one good thing is when I get a sand filter it'll be easy to take advantage of the extra water to backwash the filter....

My 1st 2 seasons of having ours I'd jump up in the middle of the night when it'd been raining long to siphon with my vacuum hose, was afraid my liner would burst.

This year I think I've gotten lazy because I wait until the next morning to even look. Or I think maybe it will be OK to overflow. I also keep thinking about next summer and getting the big 16x32' intex too so maybe that has something to do with my laziness.

This year I have a sand filter and any time I need to drain (3-4 times the last few weeks) I do use that as an excuse to do an extra long backwash.

On mine the pool will overflow out the top of the skimmer before it goes over the wall. as long as it isn't undermining the wall, it's fine for it to overflow like that. I also have a unibead liner so if it ever got high enough to overflow the wall it wouldn't get between the wall and liner. An overlap would be the same way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.