Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine/CYA Table question

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine/CYA Table question

Do the figures on the Chlorine/CYA table apply to a hot tub/spa or do they just apply to swimming pools?
    Hx2 Trainer 14 Swim Spa - 1425 gallons
    Cartridge filter, fiberglass
    Using TF100 test kit
    Atlanta, GA

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Chlorine/CYA Table question

If your spa is covered, there is not the same correlation. CYA protects chlorine from sunlight....most spas get very little.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I understand a covered spa would have much lower CYA levels needed. I was really asking whether the same min, target and shock FC levels would apply to a particular CYA level
    Hx2 Trainer 14 Swim Spa - 1425 gallons
    Cartridge filter, fiberglass
    Using TF100 test kit
    Atlanta, GA

4. Back To Top    #4

With the spa covered (no light) and the water often very hot, the risk of getting algae in the spa is lower. The CYA level is usually kept lower as well at around 30-40 ppm. So while the chart might imply a 2 ppm FC minimum for 30 ppm CYA or a 3 ppm FC minimum for a 40 ppm CYA, I've seen many spa owners start with 1-2 ppm FC at the start of their soak and then dose for the bather load right after their soak so that they start with 1-2 ppm at the start of their next soak. As for in between soaks if spaced out, then the chart is reasonable at 2-3 ppm FC.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"