Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Bleach and Stablizer

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Liquid Bleach and Stablizer

I am told that liquid bleach doesnt require stablizer as it in itself isnt stablized?
    If that is true, how is it that a swg requires stablizer?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid Bleach and Stablizer

Who is telling you that? You are not understanding what the stabilizer is for. It protects the FC from the sun and also buffers the chlroine so it is not as harsh. You need it regardless of the source of chlorine.

You must add CYA separately because the bleach does not contain any. A SWG need more because it adds the FC so slowly to help protect it better.

The solid forms of chlorine (trichlor and dichlor) add both FC and CYA to the water ... the problem is that the CYA can quickly get to be too high for the amount of FC in the water and algae will take over.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Not true at all, read pool school in the upper right of this page for the long version.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Assuming a clear pool, and putting bleach in at nite (no loss during nite) wouldnt adding a cup or two every nite just keep things all running perfectly?

5. Back To Top    #5

Are you also assuming the CYA is 0ppm? If so, you can lose 50% of the FC to the sun in an hour. So by noon, there would be no FC left in the pool and things can start growing.

If you are actually assuming that you have a CYA in the recommended range 30-50ppm. Then just adding enough bleach once a day to stay above the minimum FC (based on your CYA) by the next time you test and adjust is the recommended approach.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Liquid bleach does NOT have a stabilizer and it is most "active" if left un-stabilized. The challenge is the sun drives off most of the unstabilized FC each day. When stabilized it last longer in the pool as the stabilizer protects it from the sun.

Sot... technically a liquid bleach pool does not NEED to be stabilized but the chlorine will need to be replaced each day by pouring in more chlorine.

An SWG creates chlorine using salt and electricity. It is the same chlorine as in the liquid it just happens to be made in the pool, not at a factory. So, it can be left unstabilized also but then you would need to run the SWG long enough to replace all of the solar losses. For most residential SWG, they cannot create enough chlorine in 24 hours to replace solar losses.

The stabilizer is used to reduce solar loss, in both situations.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Just curious if there is a way to tell just how little one could get way with by adding CYA, everything I have seen on here in the last 7 years says stabilizer is a bad thing, my pool has never had a bloom or even gone cloudy, and I never add CYA or have ever used pucks
    Also, if a solar blanket is left on, wouldnt that negate the need for CYA?

8. Back To Top    #8

Stabilizer, when it is in the recommended range, is a good thing. It reduces the amount of chlorine lost to the sun, and also makes chlorine a lot less harsh. Stabilizer is only bad when it gets above the recommended range.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

9. Back To Top    #9

If you have no CYA you need to keep the FC in the 1-2ppm range or it becomes VERY harsh ... problem is that will be lost to the sun very quickly.

We recommend 20-30ppm of CYA for indoor pools as well. Not for the protection from the sun, but for the buffering of the chlorine ... Using the CYA and FC levels we recommend the "active" chlorine is MUCH less than would be found in an unstabilized pool (like many public pools that are not allowed to use CYA). Thus swimming suits, etc last a LOT longer in our pools than they do in public, unstabilized pools.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pooladdict
    Just curious if there is a way to tell just how little one could get way with by adding CYA, everything I have seen on here in the last 7 years says stabilizer is a bad thing, my pool has never had a bloom or even gone cloudy, and I never add CYA or have ever used pucks
    Also, if a solar blanket is left on, wouldnt that negate the need for CYA?

Please understand, we have not said stabilizer is a bad thing. Only this:

TOO MUCH stabilizer (CYA) is a bad thing.

High CYA means more FC level is needed to do the same job as a lower amount of FC with CYA present in the pool. You can run a pool with no CYA, but there will be a very high demand for chlorine addition much more frequently because the sun (UV rays) destroy the FC. We do not recommend doing so at all. A solar blanket will not negate the need for CYA because some UV will get through depending on your cover, and your pool will be open at some point exposing the FC to the direct sun.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    Sot... technically a liquid bleach pool does not NEED to be stabilized but the chlorine will need to be replaced each day by pouring in more chlorine.
    I'm confused, you're saying that with 0 CYA it's possible to add liquid chlorine once daily and have it last all day..?

I add chlorine daily with 45ppm CYA.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]