1st Time user/ swg and bleach

Aug 6, 2013
engine16

I am looking to get started with the bbb method. I would like to know quantities of borax, bleach and muriatic acid for my pool.
My pool is 18000 gals. vinyl liner, 1 hp pump, Pentair fns 48 d.e. filter and solar panels.
I have a salt water pool with generator. chemicals were just checked by pool store, but I did just receive the Taylor test kit.
alk-30
ph-7.5
cal. inc.- 240
f.c.- .56
t.c.- .56
cya- 47
salt- 3200ppm
Also, If I have the swg do I still need the bleach, or just not as often?
Thanks for your help.
Engine16

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The BBB method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you. Since you have a SWG, that will be adding the FC for you, but you will still need to be testing to ensure the water is balanced.

You can find a lot of info in Pool School. This may be of interest:
pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

I have a similar size pool and an swg and i have to add a little chlorine a couple times per week. My SWG is old and tired so it cannot keep up but I think a lot of people have to add some bleach every once in awhile. It depends on a lot of factors but you should get your CYA to the recommended level and do some experimenting with your SWGs output and pump run times to dial it in to minimize the frequency that extra bleach is required. If you don't have one, you need the TF100 test kit to really know what's going on with your pool.

Re: engine16

Hi, welcome to TFP! Go ahead and run a set of tests with your new kit and post them here. You don't need daily additions of borax to maintain your pool, so you really don't need to keep a stock of it on hand. If your saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) is working well and you plan to continue to use it then you won't need to stock up on bleach either. You may need to keep a gallon on Muriatic Acid (MA) handy if you keep using the SWG as they tend to cause pH to rise over time. MA will knock the pH back down when needed.

How does the water look now?

Looks like you need to bump that FC level right now with bleach. Then either adjust the output or runtime of your SWG. That's awful low. Your CYA level looks low as well for your SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.