Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1st Time user/ swg and bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

I am looking to get started with the bbb method. I would like to know quantities of borax, bleach and muriatic acid for my pool.
    My pool is 18000 gals. vinyl liner, 1 hp pump, Pentair fns 48 d.e. filter and solar panels.
    I have a salt water pool with generator. chemicals were just checked by pool store, but I did just receive the Taylor test kit.
    cal. inc.- 240
    f.c.- .56
    t.c.- .56
    cya- 47
    salt- 3200ppm
    Also, If I have the swg do I still need the bleach, or just not as often?
    Thanks for your help.
    18000gal. inground, swg, whisperflow 1hp. pentair fns-48 d.e. polaris 280 cleaner, solar panels

2. Back To Top    #2

1st Time user/ swg and bleach

I want to go with the bbb method. I have a swg. Will i still need to add bleach, or just monitor the f.c.
    18000gal. inground, swg, whisperflow 1hp. pentair fns-48 d.e. polaris 280 cleaner, solar panels

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: 1st Time user/ swg and bleach

Welcome to TFP!!!

The BBB method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you. Since you have a SWG, that will be adding the FC for you, but you will still need to be testing to ensure the water is balanced.

You can find a lot of info in Pool School. This may be of interest:
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a similar size pool and an swg and i have to add a little chlorine a couple times per week. My SWG is old and tired so it cannot keep up but I think a lot of people have to add some bleach every once in awhile. It depends on a lot of factors but you should get your CYA to the recommended level and do some experimenting with your SWGs output and pump run times to dial it in to minimize the frequency that extra bleach is required. If you don't have one, you need the TF100 test kit to really know what's going on with your pool.
    Walnut Creek, CA. 18k gallon Pebble Sheen + 1.5k gallon IG spa, 1.5hp whisperflo main pump, Pentair clean and clear 420, Intellichlor IC20, Polaris 360 w/booster,Jandy lite 2 natural gas, plus solar with Heliomatic 5000 controller and 3/4 hp booster

5. Back To Top    #5
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

New Brunswick Canada

One thing I would add, never ever use your SWG for super chlorination or whatever your SWG says, that will shorten the life span of your cell and replacement can be costly, if you need to bump up your levels, I highly recommend bleach

6. Back To Top    #6
    Houston, Texas

Re: engine16

Hi, welcome to TFP! Go ahead and run a set of tests with your new kit and post them here. You don't need daily additions of borax to maintain your pool, so you really don't need to keep a stock of it on hand. If your saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) is working well and you plan to continue to use it then you won't need to stock up on bleach either. You may need to keep a gallon on Muriatic Acid (MA) handy if you keep using the SWG as they tend to cause pH to rise over time. MA will knock the pH back down when needed.

How does the water look now?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7
    East Texas

Looks like you need to bump that FC level right now with bleach. Then either adjust the output or runtime of your SWG. That's awful low. Your CYA level looks low as well for your SWG.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!