Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH rising faster?

1. Back To Top    #1

pH rising faster?

Split by moderator from HERE. Please start your own thread for your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle.

I read through this string and have the same question. This is 2nd season with pool (pool was finished May 2012). In the first part of this summer, I really did not have the issue of pH going up so rapidly. It did go up, but I was only adding about 1/4 gallon Muriatic Acid about once a week. Not sure what changed (pool filter on the same 10 hours/day and we do not run our fountain, etc.), but I am now adding 1/4 gallon Muriatic Acid about every 2 - 3 days now. Any ideas? Here are my test results:

FC = 5.2
    TC = 5.2
    pH = 7.9
    TA = 90
    CH = 260
    CYA = 40

Thanks
    18,500 gallons, DE filter, IG
    Onyx Ansylbrite (colored) plaster
    Jandy Pump 1.0 HP, Zodiac Filter (flow rate = 120 gpm)
    Installed May 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH rising faster?

If your TA went up, that could account for the difference. Lower TA levels will have less PH drift.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Maybe the top off water is also at a higher pH and TA than before?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Any chance you got the "safe" fumeless acid, which is half-strength?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Any chance you got the "safe" fumeless acid, which is half-strength?
    This could be a VERY valid explanation.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the responses to my question. I did check my Muriatic Acid, which I purchase from Home Depot and I can confirm that it is not fumeless. Also, when I fill my test bottle, I do so from the same spot in the pool and from the same depth each time. After looking at my test log (yeah, I keep a spreadsheet of all my pool water tests), it is most likely due to a rise in Alkalinity. For the first part of this season, I had kept my TA in the 80 - 90 range. For some reason, I added enough Baking Soda to take TA to 110. Now that it is back down around 90, I am not adding Muriatic Acid as frequently.

Thanks again.
    18,500 gallons, DE filter, IG
    Onyx Ansylbrite (colored) plaster
    Jandy Pump 1.0 HP, Zodiac Filter (flow rate = 120 gpm)
    Installed May 2012