Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: stain help

1. Back To Top    #1

stain help

Hello,

I'm helping out a friend with his pool, was planning on slamming tonight and helping him switch to BBB. The problem is light brown stains throughout his whole pool. CH was only 150 so I think this may have been the cause. I'm adding CH up as we speak.
    I've tried:

Rubbing a tri-chlor tab
    Rubbing Vit C tab
    no fading with either of these

I did try with muratic acid at a 2-1 ratio and got a slight fade but not much.

Any advice?

15000 gall gunite with pebbletec plaster
    no SWG
    12000g outdoor, inground gunite, pebbletec. Cartridge filter. 2.0 HP Jandy pump, taylor test kit
    399,000 BTU Raypak LPG Heater, stenner pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: stain help

Welcome to the forum.

Stains should be addressed after your SLAM has been successful......they are seperate issues although there is some chance the SLAM may reduce them.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks, yes I'm slamming tonight for sure. I was planning on adding borates after, is that ok to do with stains?

And if anyone has info on removing stains after pool is balanced i'd appreciate it.
    12000g outdoor, inground gunite, pebbletec. Cartridge filter. 2.0 HP Jandy pump, taylor test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I wouldn't rush on the borates...make them last.

Get your pool crystal clear by SLAMming (don't skip ANY of the steps) and then let's work on the stains.

Post a pic of the stains when your water is clear and we can get a good look.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

slam is still in progress... water was clear enough to take pic. There are about 5 blue stains, and the brown stains are throughout the whole pool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

slam is complete! any idea on these stains? need more pics?

7. Back To Top    #7

Try using acid in a squirt bottle underwater again. Should remove the brown stains. Watch for any fizzing at surface. And let us know.

8. Back To Top    #8

ok I have confirmation that these are copper stains, probably due to nature 2 junk.(has been removed). I called magic jack's and they recommend 6 weeks use of the blue stuff to slowly dissolve stains. Is this what ya'll would recommend? Would no drain acid bath work? I tried acid again straight on stain with no result.

ph: 7.2
    Ta: 75
    CH: 250
    CYA: 50
    Borates: 0
    FC: 6
    water is crystal clear
    BBB

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't know how you confirmed that the stain is copper, but I am doubtful of that, especially if the acid isn't working to remove the stain.
    I would try sanding the area for a couple of minutes using 80-grit wet&dry sandpaper on the stained area.

10. Back To Top    #10

ok, maybe not absolute confirmation. more of an educated assumption.. like I said vit c didn't react, and calcium level was kept below 250 for the past 2 years. I assumed that ruled out iron and calcium scaling. He also had Nature 2 and he never monitored ph, so I figured copper was leached from heater coils. I also called and sent pics to magic jack and he said he's pretty certain its copper stains. I will try the sandpaper, and also add blue stuff.thanks