Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner with a Few Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner with a Few Questions

We bought a house last week with a pool and I finally was able to test the water with my TF-100. The pool is crystal clear but it does have a few things I'm worried about. Hopefully you all will be able to help me out.

FC 1
    CC .5
    TA 80
    CH 780
    PH 7.5
    CYA 50

Living in Texas and the pool getting full sun throughout the day I think the CYA is ok?

The CH is the thing that has me worried. I've done reading in Pool School about high CH and the general thought is to not worry too much about it. Thoughts? There is also some white, salt like, buildup on the stone wall going from the pool to the raised spa. Is this just Calcium buildup? Anything to remove it?

There are also some greenish/brown spots on the stairs and I'm not sure what it is? Hard scrubbing with a pumice stone seemed to remove the spots. Is this the best way to remove? There was also some green stuff on a small step by the spa where the sweeper can't get to. I scrubbed it with the pumice stone too and it came off really easy and created a big green cloud.

I can get some pictures tonight when I get home from work if that will help.

I added 121 oz of 8.25% bleach last night to raise my FC to 7. Not sure what it's at now. I'm going to SLAM this weekend and see if it passes the OCLT.
    14,000 gal IG + spa, DE Filter, 400k BTU heater, Polaris 280, Aqualink RS6, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner with a Few Questions

Welcome to TFP!!!

That CYA should be fine. And the high-ish CH is not an uncommon problem in TX and AZ. You will just want to keep a close eye on the pH to help avoid calcium scaling.

You can test the stains using a trichlor puck for a few minutes, if it goes away, then the stain is organic and elevated FC should remove it.

Good on you for raising the FC and I think going through the SLAM process is a good idea to ensure you are starting with a pristine pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Should I try and keep the pH around 7.5 like it is now or higher or lower?
    14,000 gal IG + spa, DE Filter, 400k BTU heater, Polaris 280, Aqualink RS6, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you read Pool School and understand the chemistry?

This is a little advanced ... basically learn to use poolcalulator.com and then you want to keep the calcite saturation index (CSI) neutral. Using what you provided (and making assumptions on salt and temperature), ideally you could keep the pH closer to 7.2 and don't let it get above 7.8.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

My CYa is 50 and I still lose right at 4ppm daily as an example. Full sun.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

I have read pool school and have a decent grasp on everything. So as long as my CSI stays between -.6 and .6 I'm ok? It's .43 now.

I'll try the trichlor puck tonight and see if that removes the spots.

7. Back To Top    #7

The closer you stay to 0 or slightly negative, the less likely for scaling ... but you "should" be fine where you are at.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

FC went from 16 last night to 3.5 this morning. I raised FC to 20 to start SLAMing. It's strange because the water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Brush brush brush. Also, look for anywhere algae might hide.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry