Placement of pool lights

Aug 6, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Hello all:

We are in the process of building our new pool. It is going to be a 30' x 18' rectangle. There is a 6.5' square spa in the middle of the shallow end side, with 1' coping around it (and 4.75' width stairs coming down into the pool at each side of the spa).

The excavator suggested placing the light at the front of the spa, so that it wouldn't shine in the eyes of people in the spa. The electrician thinks that this will be a problem. He is concerned that this will create a dead area on the stairs. He suggests putting a second light on one of the long sides, which he thinks will somewhat illuminate one of the stairs. He is planning on 500 watt lights.

It is hard to picture exactly how the dispersal of light will spread throughout the pool. Does anyone have any experience or opinions about this type of setup. My wife wants to err on the side of dim (romantic?) lighting as opposed to a blinding, operating room feel. On the other hand, I want it to be safe and at least adequately lighted.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

A picture of your plan might help, but I would consider 2 lights on the long end ... facing away from the house. Then put in color changing bulbs that will not be as bright and will let her "change the mood" ;)

Thanks for the advice. It is definitely something to consider.

I am trying to figure out how to post the pool plan, but it is 550 kb and the max allowed is 512. I'm seeing if I can resize it. I'm exposing all of my technical limitations already!

Hmm ... that bench would kind of interfere with my first thought.

You know, if the concern was lighting the steps, you could leave the light where it is shown and add one (or two) much smaller "spa" light shining on one (or both) sets of stairs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.