Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Placement of pool lights

1. Back To Top    #1

Placement of pool lights

Hello all:

We are in the process of building our new pool. It is going to be a 30' x 18' rectangle. There is a 6.5' square spa in the middle of the shallow end side, with 1' coping around it (and 4.75' width stairs coming down into the pool at each side of the spa).

The excavator suggested placing the light at the front of the spa, so that it wouldn't shine in the eyes of people in the spa. The electrician thinks that this will be a problem. He is concerned that this will create a dead area on the stairs. He suggests putting a second light on one of the long sides, which he thinks will somewhat illuminate one of the stairs. He is planning on 500 watt lights.

It is hard to picture exactly how the dispersal of light will spread throughout the pool. Does anyone have any experience or opinions about this type of setup. My wife wants to err on the side of dim (romantic?) lighting as opposed to a blinding, operating room feel. On the other hand, I want it to be safe and at least adequately lighted.

Thanks for any help.

Mike
    17,000 gallon IG tahoe blue plaster pool with spa (30' x 18' x 3.5'-6.5')
    Pentair 4 x 160 variable pump, Pentair 420 filter, Pentair Legend with pump pool cleaner
    Pentair 400,000 BTU heater
    Pentair Easytouch 4 pool/spa controller with SWG and 4 function handheld remote
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Placement of pool lights

Welcome to TFP!!!

A picture of your plan might help, but I would consider 2 lights on the long end ... facing away from the house. Then put in color changing bulbs that will not be as bright and will let her "change the mood"
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the advice. It is definitely something to consider.

I am trying to figure out how to post the pool plan, but it is 550 kb and the max allowed is 512. I'm seeing if I can resize it. I'm exposing all of my technical limitations already!
    Pentair 4 x 160 variable pump, Pentair 420 filter, Pentair Legend with pump pool cleaner
    TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Either resize, or upload it to a picture hosting site (Photobucket, Flickr, etc) and post the link.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, here is the plan (yep, dimensions just hand written onto it for the steel guy). From the house, the spa is on the left, deep end on the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Hmm ... that bench would kind of interfere with my first thought.

You know, if the concern was lighting the steps, you could leave the light where it is shown and add one (or two) much smaller "spa" light shining on one (or both) sets of stairs.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

I think that idea is the winner! I think 2 100 watt "spa" lights on each side of the spa facing the stairs. I can't think of a good reason why it shouldn't work and solve the problem. I hope my wife agrees.

Much thanks.
    TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

There are probably even lights smaller than 100W that would be more that adequate.
    Jason, TFP Moderator