Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Evaporation with Solar Cover on

1. Back To Top    #1

Evaporation with Solar Cover on

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced evaporation with the solar cover on. I'll be doing the bucket test to check for leaks this week.

About the past week or so, the temp. outside has cooled off at night and has been going as low as 55-57F. Pool temp was pretty high before (90's - no heater) and still around upper 80's.

Has anyone had evaporation occur with the solar cover on when the temp outside has dropped? Just a quick look I lose around 1/16 - 1/8 inch overnight.

Now I do have a small leak/drip at my motor (in the process of fixing - just replaced shaft seal twice and still leaking) but i dont think enough where i would lose that much water each night from. the drip is so slow I rarely can even catch it. But maybe I'm wrong.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Hopefully I'm just getting worried over nothing!
    22,700 gallon, 18x36 Vinyl IG - Hayward EC65 Perflex DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Evaporation with Solar Cover on

A full coverage solar cover should reduce evaporation to imperceptible levels. It sounds like you have a leak. An 1/8" a night would be more than a drip, more like (approximately) 30 gallons of water a night.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I was afraid of. The only portion not covered by the solar cover is the steps (about a 2.5 x 6 area?).

I guess I 'll see what the bucket test shows.

4. Back To Top    #4

Strange, but the pool doesn't seem to lose any water during the day (solar cover still on), just overnight.

Well, the bucket is in the pool now. Hopefully it doesn't rain today.