Any damage to Cell if unit is powered on when no pump flow?

blueman2

Bronze Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
SF Bay Area
How bad is it to have a SWG on when the pump is not? Will the flow switch save the Cell from damage in this case?

Here is the background: Because I have a VS pump, I cannot put the SWG on the same circuit for power. There is an automation upgrade coming in about 4 months that will solve this, but in the mean time, I did not want to go through the expense of buying a current relay to control the SWG. So in the interim I plan to use a timer which roughly matches the timer for my pump to control the SWG. But there is a chance the the timers will go out of synch (power loss impact of mechanical vs electronic timers) or that my family might turn off the pump, etc. How bad will that be?

Re: Any damage to Cell if unit is powered on when no pump fl

Flow switches are not considered reliable enough. If the SWG is active when the pump is off there can be an explosion. It is best to have at least two different things that make sure the SWG is off when the pump is off (the flow switch and something else). Typically that something else is wiring the SWG to the same power source as the pump so they are both powered on at the same time, or using an automation system which controls the SWG and pump (all of them know about this issue).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.