Red acid bottle or blue?

Jun 6, 2011
At the pool store, they sell two types of acid.
The red bottle has a strong, harsh odor whereas the blue does not.
Both seem to lower my ph equally well.
I wonder is one type better than the other?
A neighbor (not a pool pro) told me that the blue won't change TA but the red will.
thanks.

I personally use the white one! :mrgreen: I also use the white one for chlorine too. :scratch: Uhhh wait, now I'm confused. What was the question?

Oh yeah, red or blue. I did a search and couldn't find anything useful. As Dave said, tell us the ingredients and we'll be able to answer your question.

avidone1 said:
At the pool store, they sell two types of acid.
The red bottle has a strong, harsh odor whereas the blue does not.
Both seem to lower my ph equally well.
I wonder is one type better than the other?
A neighbor (not a pool pro) told me that the blue won't change TA but the red will.
thanks.

Assuming you are talking about muriatic acid there are two concentrations commonly available. The higher concentration is better but harder to handle. I say better because if you compare the pricing you may find you are paying more and getting less with the lower concentration bottle.

The lower concentration is billed as a kinder, gentler, "green" version of the traditional acid. I don't remember the concentration for the good stuff off the top of my head but when I compared the two I realized the "green" version was just another way for the pool store to lift more money out of my wallet.

My apologies.
I thought that the color coding was generic throughout the industry. I don't know much more about them except that the blue bottle doesn't has the harsh odor. I will research this soon and be more accurate in any future posts.

Ok, I checked the 'blue' bottle it is sulphuric acid 38% and markedted as "fume free" .
I know the 'red' bottle is muriatic acid but I don't know the concentration.
Other than that they are both acids and so will lower ph, is one acid inherently better than another?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.