Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this Poop?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this Poop?

I get these 1/4" long dark things the diameter of pencil lead on my deck that blow in the water and make a dime size orange spot on the bottom of the pool. They seem to come from under the edge of a maple tree. I believe it to be some kind of insect dropping but I'm not sure. Some days I get dozens of them and they look terrible. The spots don't clean off but disappear on their own after a day. Any ideas what it is or how to get rid of it?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Is this Poop?

If they blow into the water they're most likely not insect droppings.

Can you post a picture of them?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Sure, they will roll right along if the wind is up, it always is here. They seem to disolve, or, melt and leave a stain.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

Got any mice/rats/varmints running around out there?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

We never see any. These things are really small, like a grain of rice, that one looks bigger because of the shadow. I suppose they could be in the maple tree bombing us from above. I just had the feeling it may be from an insect.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have toads (not frogs) that leave poop that looks something similar (but actually a little bigger) toads are active and come out at night and usually hide during the day

27x54 AGP with Waterfall, 18,500 gallons, Waterway Sand filter- Waterway 1.5 hp -1 speed pump , TF-100 test kit, BBB method.

7. Back To Top    #7

These seem to fall right out of the maple tree, I know there are locusts and wasps up there, but never see anything larger.

8. Back To Top    #8

We have seen rats in our neighbors trees... found one in our overflow one morning. Gross! Varmints can climb and live in trees.
    45' x 65" Rectangle, 85,000 gallons, marcite, 3 - 2hp Pentairs, sand, AutoPilot Professional 4 cells, Aquacheck Digital Reader, Aquachek Salt Water Chlorine Generator Test Strips (amazon has best price for 40 count!)

9. Back To Top    #9

Hagerstown, MD

What are the odds of it being bat poop? A quick search on the Internet shows similar droppings associated with bats....

Let us all know what you find.

24' x 54" Aqua Leader Influence Above Ground Pool
    Hayward Pro Series S180T Sand Filter w/Zeobrite
    Hayward Power-Flo Martix SP1592FP Pump
    Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 Test Kit
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr. Pool Cleaner
    All equipment is hard plumbed

10. Back To Top    #10

We thought of that, that's very possible. They would just have to be tiny bats! They are literally the size of a grain of rice, but sure make a big spot on bottom of the pool. I think I'll take some to the extension office and see what they think.

11. Back To Top    #11

They are larva shells from small caterpillars that live in the tree most likely. I get them too. My pool cleaner does a good job of picking them up though.