When to add pea gravel?

May 26, 2008
Tennessee
I am installing a new 24 inch sand filter this week. (AG 24ft round pool, 1HP pump). Looks like 300 pounds of sand.. or 225 sand and 75 lbs of pea gravel. Still undecided about using the pea gravel, but I do have a question.

When do you add the pea gravel? When laterals are down in the tank? After reading so much about how fragile the laterals can be.. seems that pouring pea gravel over them, from the top of the tank.. could cause damage. Am I missing something here? Thanks for the advice.

Using pea gravel combined with sand is usually cheaper than using 100% pool sand so using it helps keep the cost down a bit. I have not heard any reports about pea gravel breaking or clogging the laterals. In fact, using the pea gravel helps prevent clogging and calcium buildup at the laterals. It also makes it easier to clean the sand. With that said, I would add the pea gravel carefully as with anything else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.