Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to add pea gravel?

1. Back To Top    #1

When to add pea gravel?

I am installing a new 24 inch sand filter this week. (AG 24ft round pool, 1HP pump). Looks like 300 pounds of sand.. or 225 sand and 75 lbs of pea gravel. Still undecided about using the pea gravel, but I do have a question.

When do you add the pea gravel? When laterals are down in the tank? After reading so much about how fragile the laterals can be.. seems that pouring pea gravel over them, from the top of the tank.. could cause damage. Am I missing something here? Thanks for the advice.

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: When to add pea gravel?

Using pea gravel combined with sand is usually cheaper than using 100% pool sand so using it helps keep the cost down a bit. I have not heard any reports about pea gravel breaking or clogging the laterals. In fact, using the pea gravel helps prevent clogging and calcium buildup at the laterals. It also makes it easier to clean the sand. With that said, I would add the pea gravel carefully as with anything else.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: When to add pea gravel?

One way to help protect the laterals when adding sand or pea gravel is to have the filter partial filled with water.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.