Holiday Help Needed - pH conundrum

Aug 6, 2013
Holiday Help Needed

I need to get this sorted before I go away!

– I have an above ground intex splash pool – 15’ diameter, 3’6” deep. Approx. 4000 IMP Gallons 4750 US Gallons.
I currently use test strips (but will invest in something better soon)
I keep the chlorine in the middle of the recommended range.
The pH is off the bottom of the scale, and the total alkalinity is off the top of the scale.

Setting aside the issue that to newcomers this is completely counter intuitive

– Which of these is the more important? and how should I tackle this?

As ever reading and researching seems to indicate the more you learn the less you know.

Other points that might be relevant:

The water is crystal clear until we use it, which stirs-up the silty grey deposits on the bottom – (which is a different topic – see below)
I have a very Heath Robinson Set-up where the bottom drain outlet feeds a central heating circulating pump pushing the water through 6 old radiators (2 strings of 3 in parallel) linked-up with garden hose. I would say that rust was an issue, as despite repeated flushing, the water had a rusty tinge, inadvertently removed by the addition of some pH increaser that seemed to combine with the rust to form a grey powder.
There are 2 cartridge filter pumps drawing from the 2 connections and returning over the sides, with the ends of the flexible tubing terminating in plastic waste pipes (about 2’ long) weighted so that the discharging ends sink to the bottom (theoretically increasing mixing of the hotter / colder layers (hotter being a relative term in the UK) – I mention this because the addition of a few small holes in the ends of the pipes above the waterline causes air to be drawn into the pipes which bubbles out thus creating a degree of aeration.
Will the aeration increase the pH? And should I reduce the total alkalinity by adding ‘Muratic Acid’ as in dilute hydrochloric acid, which in the UK is known as ‘Brick & Patio Cleaner’
Any advice would be useful –
Thanks

Welcome to the forum :wave:

You need a drop base kit to test. The first thing to do is get the pH up to the low 7's with Borax.

Will the aeration increase the pH? And should I reduce the total alkalinity by adding ‘Muratic Acid’ as in dilute hydrochloric acid, which in the UK is known as ‘Brick & Patio Cleaner’
Yes, the aeration will increase the pH. NO, do not try to lower TA at this time. Fix pH first.

Do you have a way to vacuum the pool?

Post a full set of test results and let us know how you got them.

We would love to see pics of the set-up :)

here it is in early stages of development - but I have shown the idea to be viable.

the issues are:

Rust

Lack of filtration into the circulation pump

an automatic control system

all in development

Attachments

• Rads sm.jpg
    Rads sm.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Pumpin sm.jpg
    Pumpin sm.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 63
Oakmaster said:
Thanks for the prompt advice - Is Borax likely to be the same stuff sold as "pH +" or "pH increaser" - otherwise where would be a good source?

thanks
No, borax is NOT the same as pH increaser. What is sold as pH increaser is Sodium Carbonate (not to be confused with Sodium Bicarbonate) and will increase your pH and your TA. If your alkalinity is off the scale, besides needing a better scale (ie: not test strips), you do not want to add that. Borax will increase your pH without changing your TA much. It can probably be found someplace locally but here is an example at Amazon UK.

Bought it as per your link - should arrive before we jet off to Andalucía - Will try to get the pH right and then load-up with Chlorine
when we return I'll sort out a proper test kit and post the result - thanks for all the advice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.