Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster flaking

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster flaking

I have a few small spots (silver dollar size) of plaster flaking on my entry steps. The pool was replastered in 2005 so not sure of the issue. Otherwise it's really smooth throughout and no other complaints.

Can you give me some advice on repair? Is this a simple job? What kinds of questions should I ask the repair company? Etc.

Many thanks
    45k gallon plaster, EasyTouch 8SC, Pentair IntelliFlo VS, IC60, Hayward SwimClear C4020, SwimQuip 1M divingboard, Polaris ATV

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster flaking

That sounds very minor. Typically a little smoothing out, perhaps with a grinder, perhaps with acid, will take care of it. This is some chance it is a symptom of some more serious problem, and additional plaster will flake off as soon as you clear up the current areas, but that isn't the most likely possibility.

A photo might help us narrow down the possibilities.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Curious - are you using a Trichlor floater? These have been known to park there on the top step when the pump is off and damage plaster. My parents re plastered about 5 years ago and their plaster is still in good shape except for the top step. Dark gray area right below where their floater parked. Looks like gunite showing through. After I discovered BBB I told them no more floater. Or if they insist on using it at least tie it so that it won't make its way to the steps.
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Good question about the floating chlorinator. I've only lived here for 3 years so not sure about the previous owners. I can say before I switched to liquid chlorine, the floater would hang out in a different area of the pool. I'll see if I can get a good pic in the morning.
    45k gallon plaster, EasyTouch 8SC, Pentair IntelliFlo VS, IC60, Hayward SwimClear C4020, SwimQuip 1M divingboard, Polaris ATV

5. Back To Top    #5

DSC03624 by Freddie Carney, on Flickr

DSC03625 by Freddie Carney, on Flickr

6. Back To Top    #6

I scheduled time with two plaster companies and the first showed up today. The gentleman I spoke with today, said to do nothing. It would not get worse by leaving it and the cost to repair it wouldn't be worth it. ~500

He said from his experience that I should see other area popping eventually?

Can anyone chime in with experience on this and thoughts?

7. Back To Top    #7

That type of plaster flaking is known as "spalling." It is not caused by Trichlor floaters or bad water chemistry. It was caused by improper troweling techniques at the time of plastering. Others areas on the steps may flake in time.
    But it is also possible that no more flaking will occur. Just depends.

Draining the pool and drying out the plaster would only make more areas begin to flake if there is a weakness in nearby areas.
    Only about 1/16 to 1/8 inch has flaked off, still leaving nearly 1/4 to 1/2 inch below to the gunite. There is no gunite substrate exposed. It is a minor defect that does not affect the integrity of the overall plaster job.

The best program is to purchase some 80-grit wet&dry sandpaper and sand those areas until smooth or smoother.