Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA too low

1. Back To Top    #1

TA too low

Hi all!

Hope everyone's summer is going well. I have a quick question. Since I took over the pool about 6 months ago, my CH has been a problem (~1000) and I will take care of it once summer winds down a bit by doing some drains. In the meantime, to help keep that under control as best I can, I have trying to run my pH and TA on the lower side- around 7.2 and 60, respectively. Recently, my pH has been drifting up quickly and I've had to add acid daily to keep it below 7.6 and have it hover around 7.2. Because of that, I've dropped my TA down to 50. I've read on here that having TA too low can also cause pH drift.

My question is... With my calcium hardness issue, is it ok if I just run the TA that low and work on keeping my pH at 7.2 to avoid calcium build up or should I raise the TA because 50 is too low?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    13,000 gallon plaster salt water pool. Jandy DEV60 filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG (APURE1400)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA too low

Are you using the Pool Calculator to maintain a CSI at or near zero? I just spent the past year with a CH of 1000+. I kept the TA around 60 and never had to hold a pH quite that low. Generally somewhere around 7.5 seemed to work for me. I also borated the pool to help control the constant upward pH drift.

Note: I just went off to the Pool Calculator and put in the following:
    FC 5
    TA 50
    CH 1000
    CYA 70
    Salt 3200

With those numbers scale shouldn't be an issue even if your pH rises above 7.8. In fact, pH 7.6 would yield a CSI of zero. So why would you keep it a 7.2?
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: TA too low

I think if you keep the TA above 40 ppm you should be fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!