Pentair Easy Touch, Sun Touch?? IDK

Jun 19, 2013
First post and glad this forum is here. Brief run down of what I have and what I need. I am in the middle of a install of a Viking Barcelona IG fiberglass pool. I installed the pool myself and received the equipment in a package from the local supplier.
What I have: Pentair: WhisperFlo, Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter and Mastertemp 300K heater, Intellibrite 5g LED light.
What I think I need: SWG and power center, pool pump timer, light controller. the only "extra" on the pool is a magicfalls water feature. I don't think i would mind manually turning it on and off.

I have a pool equipment shed located 35ft from the pool, 25 ft from a garage and about 50 feet from an existing 200 amp panel located in the garage.
What I would like to have the main control panel for the equipment in the garage and run power underground to the equipment in the shed (majority 14awg). The problem I see with this is having a easytouch with integral power for the SWG due to the cord length or price of extension cord for SWG.

Questions:
Would a Pentair Easy touch be my answer with a IC40 with its own power source located in the shed?

Would a Pentair Easy touch with the iphone app be my answer to control the light, pump and temp?

Would there be something simpler to run a pump and light, ect?

I don't need the Easy touch's ability to have circuit breakers, numerous funcitons ect....do I?

I would like to order something soon and get this thing running but don't want a should of, would of, could of.

Any information is appreciated
Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

There are lots of different approaches that will work, at a range of price points. You don't really give us enough information to pin it down, but I can clear up what some of your limitations are.

First, you are going to want the SWG power supply closer to the pool than 35 ft. You may need to mount it on a post out near the pool. This is easy to do, but mildly unsightly depending on your layout.

Second, this can be setup way more simply and less expensively than an EasyTouch, though you will lose some connivence. The pump comes with it's own timer and can control it's self. The heater has a thermostat, The SWG can be run by a current controlled relay. That leaves the light which can be switched manually or you can get an inexpensive single channel remote to control it. The next step up from that would be a SunTouch, which would work well in this situation. The SunTouch makes the most sense if you put the circuit breakers in the existing main panel and run each circuit separately out to the pool (which is an option, though not my favorite choice), though it still saves money even if you use a separate sub-panel near the pool.

Third, it is by no means essential, but it is nice to have a sub-panel out within easy range of the pool. It is also easier to run one heavy wire out to the pool (with a sub-panel) than it is to run four to six circuits from the main panel all the way out to the pool.

You have a range of choices at a range of prices. The EasyTouch is overkill, but nice because it is all in one and has every feature you could possibly want. A plausible high end choice. SunTouch with a separate sub-panel next to it is much more reasonably priced and will do everything you want. No automation is the least expensive, and not too much of a step down in capability because you don't have that much that actually needs automation.

Jason thanks for the quick reply. Price is isn't a huge issue, but i don't want to over buy just because...

The SWG power supply has to be external vs. the built in transformer which is optional on some controllers. I can have the power supply in the shed, just power going to it from the garage.

I only have a 3/4HP whisper flow with no built in controls. The heater does have thermostat, which i don't mind manually setting and changing throughout my too of short pool season in Montana. The garage and panel is a better option for access the controls then the shed, kind of why i wanted them there.

Why is it not desirable to run circuit breakers in the existing main, besides access?

I know i can get a intellibrite controller for the light but it is $180..

How I understand the easy touch with my system is the only automation would be a pool timer and maybe the option to control the lights via wi-fi? Is this a fair assumption?

What would you recommend for controlling the SWG and pump system?

The cell cord on the SWG is 15'. The power supply must be closer than the shed.

There is no need to get an intellibrite controller. A simple light switch will control the lights. The only difference is N on.off cycles to change colors instead of a single button push.

There are two problems with breakers at the main panel, first it is a pain to run back and forth between the pool and the main to turn things on/off (even if rare). I've trekked back and forth to the main panel in the basement so many times now I am very sick of it. Second, running wires for several circuits all that distance can get to be a lot of wire. This is nothing insurmountable, it will work, just a pain. A separate sub-panel out by the pool is much nicer and not much more money.

If you want true wi-fi controls you will need an EasyTouch. SunTouch and Intermatic will both handle wireless remotes, but not true Internet control.

If you go for automation, get the SunTouch. It is simpler to use, less expensive, and does everything you have mentioned (except Internet remote).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.