Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Color logic LED lights with dark or black liner?

1. Back To Top    #1

Color logic LED lights with dark or black liner?

Anyone have any photos or experience with a dark liner like black granite and color LED lights?
    I'm interested in led for the energy efficiency and having the color is a nice bonus. But I'm concerned the dark pool won't bounce the light enough. Photos or video would be ideal.
    Thanks
    BQ
    20 x 44 vinyl IG 44,000 gal, Pentair 3hp vs intelliflo, intellichlor and starite heater.
    8 x 10 viking Royal hot tub
    tf100 test kit with k-1000 kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Color logic LED lights with dark or black liner?

We have a black pebble plaster pool and LED color changing lights. You are correct in that the light does not reflect off the plaster like it would with a lighter color but we love the effect that the lights create. You are essentially lighting only the water and the pebbles so it is a much more subtle look. I will try and get you some pictures.

Scott
    20k gallon AG pebble pool in Austin, Texas. All Pentair equipment (DE, IC40 SWCG, heatpump, variable speed pump with aux pump for the cleaner). Built in 4/2013.

3. Back To Top    #3

I figured as much, but photos would be great. Thanks for your help,
    20 x 44 vinyl IG 44,000 gal, Pentair 3hp vs intelliflo, intellichlor and starite heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Anyone with photos?

5. Back To Top    #5

We have black granite liner and Pentair color lights. Colors are deep but look great in our opinion. The only color I really don't like is the red....looks a bit eerie but DH thinks its "cool". Will try to post photo if weather breaks.
    18x36 kidney 20,000 gallons IG vinyl. Pentair Easy Touch 8 w/IntelliChlor IC40. Triton II TR100. Pentair Intellifllo Variable Speed. Waterfall/Jump Rock. 2 Pentair Intellibrite lights. TF-100 Test Kit. And a very happy husband who gets to play in the pool without having to take care of it.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll take pictures tomorrow for you. I have a Gunite with black plaster. We have LED lighting and from what I can tell, it does well at night.
    24x32 feet, In-ground, Saltwater, Gunite pool (under construction)

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Ksnewman
    The only color I really don't like is the red....looks a bit eerie but DH thinks its "cool".
    I agree that the red is eerie and reminds me of Shark Week, but also cool. Our thing when the red does come on is to yell "red" and everyone in the pool has to go underwater for the red cycle.

Our surface is gray plaster so I'll hold off on pictures and let the black granite folks come through.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Night shot with blue LED lights.

My entire house is outfitted with LED lights.
    24x32 feet, In-ground, Saltwater, Gunite pool (under construction)

9. Back To Top    #9

That looks great! Thank you!

10. Back To Top    #10

Sorry for the delay but here is a couple of pics of the pool at night with the LED lights on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20k gallon AG pebble pool in Austin, Texas. All Pentair equipment (DE, IC40 SWCG, heatpump, variable speed pump with aux pump for the cleaner). Built in 4/2013.

11. Back To Top    #11

We have 2 in a granite grey liner pool. In hindsight we would have gone with 3 as the light output isn't tremendous.
    The LED's light the water only unlike traditional lights that are brighter and light the pool surroundings.
    Kafko 15x28 Rectangle granite grey liner pool - Kafko 8 foot granite grey steps / Kafko 8 foot granite grey sunledge - Hayward Equipment - Kafko Safety Cover - Beachcomber 750 hot tub

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by canpool View Post
    We have 2 in a granite grey liner pool. In hindsight we would have gone with 3 as the light output isn't tremendous.
    The LED's light the water only unlike traditional lights that are brighter and light the pool surroundings.
    Any chance for any pictures of how it looks with lights on? We have 18x38 in ground liner and are getting liner replaced...going with a dark liner. Current plan is to install 3 GLO-BRITE LED's along the length of the pool. Have similar concerns that are voiced in this post about how lighting will look at night with such a dark liner.

Thanks!