Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa remote doesn't work

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa remote doesn't work

The flush-mounted 4 function round spa remote has developed a short, according to a reliable pool technician. It's currently disabled. (It was turning on the spa by itself.) He wants $900 to replace it with about $650 of that for labor to pull a new line. Does anyone have experience replacing that type of unit? I presume the wire is run through conduit to the pump (probably 25 yards away), and it's a matter of attaching strong string to pull the new line through? Can it really be that simple? If so, should I put powder or grease or something on the new wire to make it slide through the conduit better? Is this a 9 on the 10 pt toughness scale, or a 3? Do I need a winch to pull it through, or can I just yank with gloves? If the string breaks, will I ever be able to rewire it?
    30,000 gal salt with spa; built 2006; Jandy 2 hp single speed Stealth; 48 sf Pentair DE filter; Pentair 4 wheel cleaner; Jandy 1400 SWG and 1400PLC salt cell. New filter grids, cleaner pump.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Spa remote doesn't work

There is a grease specifically for the purpose of lubing up wire to be pulled through conduit (although likely any grease would help). If you have a wire already in the conduit ... you should be able to use it to pull the new wire through.

No telling how hard the pull will be. Depends how many turns you have. Make sure to attach the pull wire well to the new wire (likely want to tape the connection so id does not come apart).

If it breaks, there are ways to get a new string through to pull with (like using a shop vac or something).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Southern California

You can use a product called "3M Wire Pulling Lubricant Gel". It's made for electrical wire and will not break it down or degrade it in the future. ... UTF8&psc=1

I bought one to use on a spa light and cord that I was replacing. Made all the difference in the world.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Ashford, CT

If you go to the Home Depot you can get both the lube and a special (pulling Grip) tool wire puller to attach to the old wire. ... gB2gJK1GSo

Knots do not work well for pulling wires, but a spa remote most likely or should have its own separate conduit (grey pipe), so it should not get tangled among other wires.

Normally to pull a new wire you suck a string through the pipe using a shop vac on the other end. Once the string goes through you then attach a larger nylon string then attach and pull the the new wire. ... it-or-Pipe

This is a fairly easy DYI project -- but any electrical contractor can do this easily.

It's a short 1 hr project.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Wow $650 just for labor. I guess I under charge for this.

Having two people to do this is a great plus. So get a second person to help you. I doubt you will need any of the grease mentioned. In fact there is probably a bunch of water in that pipe anyways.

Get a strong string from one of the local hardware stores. Tie it securely to the end of the wire by the controller. Then gently pull the wire from the spa end. Once thru, just do the reverse to install the new one. Again, have two people doing this and it should go smoothly.

A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you.