Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: when to close pool in oklahoma to avoid "greenage"

1. Back To Top    #1

Newcastle, Oklahoma

when to close pool in oklahoma to avoid "greenage"

after reading a bunch on here about when to close and open pool, i get that algea grows in +60 degree water, so closing late and opening early is my best bet to avoiding a green nasty pool. however, if anyone here is familiar with Oklahoma, its not uncommon to have a week of 75-80 degree days in the dead of winter or have fall temps linger in 70s until well after Christmas.

most folks are done swimming in thier pools around here from what i see at about the second week of Sept, when its getting too cool to want to be in the pool, but not yet below 60.

i have no problem running pool for a few extra weeks after we are done using it if it would help with an easier opening in spring, but how do I chose when to give it one last shock and button it up for the year?
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mexico, MO

Re: when to close pool in oklahoma to avoid "greenage"

When the pool water consistently stays below 60? At least that's the reply I got from chem geek.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you thought about just leaving it open year-round? We get those crazy out-of-season days here in Dallas, too. Most folks leave the pool open and set a controller to run the pump any time the temperature approaches freezing. But maybe you have colder days where you are than we have here, making it impractical to leave it open.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Yeah, the cooler you let the water get, the best chance you have of opening to a clear pool. 60 degrees is sort of a mark, but I can assure you some forms of algae can develop below that.

The nice thing, you will know exactly how to SLAM it back to clarity if you have some green in the Spring.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Silver Spring, MD

Below 60 degrees is a good rule of thumb. I go for below 50 degrees, which is more reliable (but not perfect).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Central Massachusetts

I lived in OKC for 30 years, born and raised okie.
    If it were me, i'd button it up in mid november, and open second week of march
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7
    DFW, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    I lived in OKC for 30 years, born and raised okie. If it were me, i'd button it up in mid november, and open second week of march
    I would have to agree with this assessment.

Here in DFW, we are close to the northern periphery of keeping a pool "open" (operational) year-round. Even here, it is not unusual for us to have several below freezing nighttime temps between mid-December through most of February. However, it is a rare day when the daytime high does not get above freezing. Sometimes it seems as though there is an invisible wall at the Red River. Seems like there is often a bigger difference in winter temps between DFW and OKC than the distance would suggest.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

8. Back To Top    #8

With a solid cover and FC being at shock level during closing, I've never opened to any less than 6ppm FC. Normally I try to close in October and open in late March/April. It's usually not warm enough to swim until the end of May and too cool after mid September.

Oddly enough I'm not even dreading my last swim being less than a month and a half away. This summer has been the worst I've experienced yet.

Cheapest year for chlorine yet! I had a few cases left over from last season, don't think I bought more than 4 of 10% and I also got 2 12.5% on sale.

The whole season, opening in mid April and closing in mid October will probably cost me only $130-140.
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]