First shock of the season, ? on my numbers

Nori71

Jul 1, 2013
Seattle, WA
So, the kids and I left for a week and hubby didn't add bleach as needed... We had algae and I shocked it 5 days ago. The water looked clear until the kids got in today (first time since shocking) and then it changed to cloudy - stirred up stuff on the bottom no doubt. I need to buy a scrub brush and really scrub, since there was still some residual "green" on one corner of the pool that the vacuum wouldn't suck up.

Anyways, today the numbers today are:
CYA - 40
FC - 7.6 (use the Taylor kit and it took 38 drops to turn from pink to clear. 1 drop=.2ppm.)
CC - .8
PH - 7.4
Alk - 110
Ca hardness (did I need this one?) - 70

These numbers look ok except for the chlorine, right? Chlorine is still too high. And today for the first time we skimmed out 2 large water bugs - I guess the back-skimmer variety? I saw them both fly into the pool and then start swimming. Is that just a coincidence or is the green that is stuck to the sides attracting them. I figured with chlorine levels like that nothing could be growing. Am I way off.

So you still see algae, correct? That means you need to follow the SLAM until you meet all 3 criteria. Full process is linked to in my signature. There's no need to test chlorine using the 25 mL sample, .5 ppm resolution is fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.