Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need new equipment and in need of advice.

1. Back To Top    #1

need new equipment and in need of advice.

I just bought a repo home from a flipper. He put craigslist equipment on the pool in order to sell it. the original equipment was stolen. The filter is way undersized and has a blow by issue. I'm live in the mountains outside Yosemite so leafs dust and dirt are a big issue. I will be purchasing a very large DE filter. Most likely either the Hayward progrid 72 or the Pentair FNS 60. Rotary or pull back wash valve?
    The pool is about 28,000 gal with 2 sheer descents and no spa with 2" plumbing.
    I'm looking to replace the pump as well. the current one leaks and cavitates. There is a lot of hype of pumps. Both Pentair and Hayward have so many the choice is staggering. Even if one considers only the VS pumps. Any advice?

I'm also leaning toward a SWC but again the choices are staggering.

Who is the best online retailer for prices?
    Thanks for the advice.
    Bob

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need new equipment and in need of advice.

Welcome to tfp, scratchnbell

For your size pool, we recommend a minimum of 78 sq. ft. DE filter. The Multiport style (I think that is what you mean by rotory) allows for more circulation options than the push/pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by scratchnbell
    I'm looking to replace the pump as well. the current one leaks and cavitates. There is a lot of hype of pumps. Both Pentair and Hayward have so many the choice is staggering. Even if one considers only the VS pumps. Any advice?
    We will need some more details like any high volume water features and some plumbing details (number of runs and diameter).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

All plumbing is 2 inch. The longest run is 40 feet. There are 3 suction lines. One for the skimmer, one for the pool cleaner and one for the slip drains.
    There are 4 return lines. One for splits to 3 return nozzles, one each for two 24 inch sheer descents, and one for the stolen slide.

If i can get some recommendations for a vendor i can order the filter and continue to research the pump. The pump works. The filter is not working at all.
    Thanks
    Bob

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

We have no suggestions for a vendor. There are so many good and bad stories around we do not endorse anyone.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School