Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa Valves

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa Valves

I have a Hayward variable speed pump that is a little sensitive in that it will not get past auto prime (15 minutes) from time to time. This is typically my sign that it is time to backwash. Recently it will not prime when my valves are turned to hot tub but works fine when turned for pool flow. There was air coming out the port when it wouldn't prime. I let it prime for the pool, then turned the valves to hot tub and all was well. No air coming out of the port until I turned on the jets.

Two questions - how bad is it for the valves to change the flow when the pump is running? Second, any thoughts on where the air was coming from? There is no leak, otherwise there would have been air in both cases.

Any thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Spa Valves

Is there air in the pump basket when the pump starts?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

It isn't 100% full but it isn't leaking either. When I take off the lid I can hear it de-pressurize. O-ring is OK and I have lubed it.

4. Back To Top    #4

When pump is running, always move valves slowly and it's OK. Just never quickly flip a valve from one setting to another, it can cause water hammer.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit