Bought a used pool and have a few questions

donnal

Jul 29, 2010
North Alabama
I have lurked here since joining and readily found the answers to any questions, so this is my first post. Here's a little background, I have owned above ground pools off and on since the late 80's. I currently have a 15 X 48 Intex pool and found TFP sometime after buying the Intex and have used and loved the BBB method since. The Intex stays up year round, is four years old this summer and starting to have lots of rust so I have been looking for a steel walled pool as a replacement for a while and found a 24 X 52 Vogue Simbio on craigslist that we got for $650 and we disassembled and brought it home yesterday.

The pool came with a 1 HP Hayward Power-Flo LX pump, a gianormous sand filter :lol: (unsure of the make or size as we have to go back and get it), Polaris 65 cleaner, Lumi-O Wedding Cake II steps, and assorted nets, poles and accessories. It's in extremely good shape although it's filthy since there were lots of trees around where the previous owners had it so I've got lots of cleaning to do.

Now, on to my questions. The steps have rust stains where the weights were bolted to the steps, will ascorbic acid work to remove these stains? The reason we have to go back and get the sand filter is because it was full of water so we had to let it drain. I'm not sure how long it's been since this pool was in use, but I know it wasn't opened this summer, so what do I need to look for as far as damage from being full of water over winter? The pool had Gladon pool cove and Happy Bottom, we brought both home with us. I know that we can reuse the pool cove, can we also reuse the Happy Bottom?

Sorry for all the questions on my first post and thanks in advance for any answers you can provide.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

If the stains are small, you can likley use some vitamin C tablets to try to remove/lighten the stains.

You should likely remove the sand before you try to move the filter. While doing so, you will be able to inspect all the laterals inside for cracking. You can then either clean the sand and reuse it or replace it if you like.

I am not sure what a Happy Bottom is, so will differ that to someone else.

Should be okay, be careful removing the sand so you don't damage the laterals. I used a shop vac and sucked the sand out, I had to empty the vac several times to do so. I used old dog food sacks to haul the sand home in. Once I inspected the filter, placed it at my site, I filled half full of water, covered the center tube with a plastic cup upside down and pour the sand back in. Then did a through backwash and rinse before using. Putting water in the filter before the sand helps soften the impact of the sand and prevents damage to the laterals.

We planned to use a shop vac to remove the sand and thanks for the tip about dog food bags I couldn't think of any easy way to haul the sand home. I believe we should have enough empty horse feed bags to put the sand in and I hope getting that water out helps lessen the horrible smell :shock: or we may just dump it.

The wet sand is heavy so just use small bundles, I used leather strips I keep for repairing saddles and tack. Once in the sack and tied shut I didn't notice to much of a smell, but the sacks were in the horse trailer we used to haul everything in one trip.

The happy bottom could be reused if its in good shape. It's supposed to give the floor a little better feel. I don't have it and my floor feels just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.