Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool pump leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

pool pump leaking

Hi all,
    when pump is on, I notice a stream of water leaking from the bottom of pump and this makes the cement which the pump is housed on wet. I can't physically see a leak or a drip, all I can see is the light stream of water from the bottom (leak seems to be coming from inbetween the motor and the housing but again I cant see any drips). Any idea what this could be? Can i continue to run my pump until I get this fixed? Really hoping I do not need a new pump.

Thank you!
    I have a photo of the amount of wetness and can email it to someone if they would like

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool pump leaking

Sounds like the ceramic shaft seal needs to be replaced. Do this quickly before the water destroys the motor bearings and then you will need at least a new motor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

thank you! I am not running it until someone comes to fix it. I also noticed a very, very slight noise now which I think may be water touching the bearings? I hope nothing further is damaged as the noise is very low - could that be why I hear the noise?

4. Back To Top    #4

When the bearing start to go bad, that certainly causes a noise.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

OK thanks - but is this repairable? or does the entire motor need to be changed (I hope not!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Bearings (when they need to be replaced) are most definitely repairable. If anyone tells you otherwise, ask yourself if they want to sell you a new motor.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry