Skimmer socks changed my life

finydb

Jun 5, 2013
Or at least the life of my pool! I'm so glad I found out about them here. My pool is so beautiful now. Just had to share. If you don't use them, go buy some. I got 5 on Amazon for like 6 bucks, and I rinse and reuse them.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

I used them for a while, it definitely makes cleaning the basket easier, but I didn't notice any less filtering ability without them. Plus they can clog easier than the basket alone.

I use them in the early spring to help capture the pollen and small stuff that is blown in by the perennial North Texas springtime wind that never seems to take a day off between February and April. The socks help keep the skimmer (and baskets) cleaner.

Speedo said:
...they can clog easier than the basket alone.
Very true. When there is lots of small debris, I have to change the socks out every 2-3 hours when the pump is running. If the socks get too clogged, the pump will be starved for water - not a good thing. The beauty is the socks can be washed, rinsed, and reused. I have several pairs so when one pair is removed for cleaning, I always have a clean pair on-deck.

Queen size knee highs from WallMart, the ones in the little clear bubbles are 3 pr of $1. How can you beat that?

I had a whole bunch (technical term there) of dead algae too small to get caught by the filter. I was using a sock due to earlier problems with long, thing seed pods which blocked the pump basket.
I used the blue clarifying stuff )which turns the algae into floating bits large enough for the filter.

It worked quite well - the next morning, I heard the pump straining - the sock had become nearly completely clogged with the floating stuff.

Lesson: If you're going to use the clarifying stuff, either remove the sock or watch it like the proverbial raptor.

I tried (cheap) knee-high hose it snagged and tore on the roughness of the basket, and trying to extract one of the seed pods caused a hole the sixe of a quarter.

The last of the stockings is n ow the repkacement mesh for leaf skimmer

Well yes, the knee highs don't hold up well, but at a cost of 16 cents you can put a new one in every day if needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.