Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer socks changed my life

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer socks changed my life

Or at least the life of my pool! I'm so glad I found out about them here. My pool is so beautiful now. Just had to share. If you don't use them, go buy some. I got 5 on Amazon for like 6 bucks, and I rinse and reuse them.

Yvette in Burleson, TX
    AG 54" 12x24 partially buried

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer socks changed my life

They work really well. Cut down on my need to backwash the filter as often too
    25000 Gallon Pentair Intellichlor SWG Gunnite Pool with Heyward DE Filter/Pump
    Test Kit - Taylor K 2006

3. Back To Top    #3

I used them for a while, it definitely makes cleaning the basket easier, but I didn't notice any less filtering ability without them. Plus they can clog easier than the basket alone.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

4. Back To Top    #4

I use them in the early spring to help capture the pollen and small stuff that is blown in by the perennial North Texas springtime wind that never seems to take a day off between February and April. The socks help keep the skimmer (and baskets) cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    ...they can clog easier than the basket alone.
    Very true. When there is lots of small debris, I have to change the socks out every 2-3 hours when the pump is running. If the socks get too clogged, the pump will be starved for water - not a good thing. The beauty is the socks can be washed, rinsed, and reused. I have several pairs so when one pair is removed for cleaning, I always have a clean pair on-deck.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

I like the knee-hi's. since they're cheap. And when they start loading up, the toe just gets filled. skimmer-sock-nylon-illustrated-t60819.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I use them 100% the time. They catch alot of junk that my filter would see otherwise.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

I tried the womens knee high pantyhose, but everytime I put them on and walk around the pool they dont catch anything. Hehe. They do work great though and alot cheaper than the skimmer socks.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Queen size knee highs from WallMart, the ones in the little clear bubbles are 3 pr of $1. How can you beat that?
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I had a whole bunch (technical term there) of dead algae too small to get caught by the filter. I was using a sock due to earlier problems with long, thing seed pods which blocked the pump basket.
    I used the blue clarifying stuff )which turns the algae into floating bits large enough for the filter.

It worked quite well - the next morning, I heard the pump straining - the sock had become nearly completely clogged with the floating stuff.

Lesson: If you're going to use the clarifying stuff, either remove the sock or watch it like the proverbial raptor.

I tried (cheap) knee-high hose it snagged and tore on the roughness of the basket, and trying to extract one of the seed pods caused a hole the sixe of a quarter.

The last of the stockings is n ow the repkacement mesh for leaf skimmer
    Dave
    Sacramento
    1980's 15,000 Gal IG Plaster; 1 1/2 hp Hayward Northstar; Hayward Swimclear C3025 Cartridge Filter (325 sq ft, nom.); Pentair Legend; Polaris PB4-60; Equipment 40' from pool. p.s.: it's an aye-aye.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Well yes, the knee highs don't hold up well, but at a cost of 16 cents you can put a new one in every day if needed.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

We used that and a slime bag in combination and had beautiful water all year
    24' AGP, 54" - 13,300 Gallons at 47".
    AquaRay Cleaner
    Hayward Swimpro Voyager Filter/2 Speed 2 HP Pump