Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: muriatic acid or dry acids, where to buy in Dallas

1. Back To Top    #1

muriatic acid or dry acids, where to buy in Dallas

I just got a new 14' x 48'' above the ground pool and I am using the BBB method. I am trying to balance my ph as it increase every other day. I just wonder what will be cheaper: muriatic acid or dry acids? and where to get them. I live in Dallas Texas
    23K vinyl, Hayward 1 1/2 HP pump, Hayward 3600 DE filter and Hayward heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: muriatic acid or dry acids, where to buy in Dallas

Muriatic is my strong preference and what I always suggest. Dry acid can add things you don't want like sulfates. Any hardware store will have it, often near the paint section. Some big box stores keep some with the pool stuff seasonally. Look on the label and make sure it is 31.45% strength.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Regular MA is almost always cheaper, pound for pound.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome neighbor. I get my MA from Home Depot. It is usually outside by the pool stuff.
    36x16 gunite, 14,500 gallons, Jandy 2.0hp VS Epump, Jandy CL460 filter, Automatic chlorinator, Jandy Legacy 400K BTU Heater, Polaris 1.5HP spa blower, 2 Colorlogic pools lights and 1 Colorlogic spa light, Polaris 3/4HP booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Jandy PS4 with PDA, QuartzScapes Montego Bay plaster, OK flagstone coping, spray deck (aggregate effect) - completed 3/2011

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by partypond
    Welcome neighbor. I get my MA from Home Depot. It is usually outside by the pool stuff.
    Verify that it is not now half strength 14% stuff for the same price ... HD and Lowes have switched by me.

I think the 31% can still be found inside maybe near paint?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks alot for the reply. Is sulfate bad thing to have in your pool and why is that? because I bought the 4lb HTH ph minus and I have to finish them first before I can switch to the other one.
    23K vinyl, Hayward 1 1/2 HP pump, Hayward 3600 DE filter and Hayward heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have seen MA at Kroger and it's the 31.45% stuff. Also have found it at Lowe's and HD - so far, the one's here are holding the line and are still carrying the 31.45% concentration but I always check the label each time to make sure.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sulfates are not a problem in reasonably quantities, but over time they accumulate. If the level eventually gets too high (very very high) there could be SWG or plaster damage.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School