Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problems-- Fiber for sand filter and stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Problems-- Fiber for sand filter and stains

Hello from SC coast. I am new to post but have been reading the posts for a while. I have converted my chlorine pool to SWG and busy trying to get water crystal clear. I added some Fiber stuff but waited 48 hrs instead of 24 and now need to 1.) clear my sand filter because it doesn't drop PSI with back wash--any ideas. Cleaner or more back wash. . 2.) Also I have stains just on the wall and a few areas in the pool. It seems like stain from algae that remained too long on side and areas in the bottom. Will the metal stain cleaner draw copper from my heater? Most of bottom is Diamond Brite Blue. 3) anyone think a + B epoxy will fill the small areas where the Diamond Brite has chipped off or worned to show the concrete.

Jmark

SWG-8,000 concrete pool, 15 x 20 x 4 kidney shape pool temp about 85 degrees.
    10K gal, IG gunite, Installed 2000, 1 1/2 HP pump, sand filter, Aqua Pure Digital 35 K gal SWG, Haywood Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Problems-- Fiber for sand filter and stains

There's an article on pool school for deep cleaning a sand filter. Basically take a garden hose with the water running, put in the top of the filter with the valve removed and slowly poke it gently down to the bottom is several places so the crud floats out the top.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

When adding fiber or DE to a sand filter, add just enough to raise the pressure 1 psi. It should be removed from the filter along with collected debris during normal backwash.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey-thanks--I will give that a try-makes sense but I never thought about that.
    10K gal, IG gunite, Installed 2000, 1 1/2 HP pump, sand filter, Aqua Pure Digital 35 K gal SWG, Haywood Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's the article on Adding DE to a Sand Filter
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.